Active Topics

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
I've only had my N810 for a little while now, but I absolutely love it.

One of the things I'm trying to compensate for is my need to have push-type e-mail as I've been so accustomed to on my black berry. I am dependent on this for my work e-mail.

So I've tried a few different approaches to mail on the N810 - firstly of course is the Webmail Notifier, which is fine, but it isn't very configurable. I'm looking for something that will get my attention with a configurable sound, and maybe even a pop-up with some info on the sender and subject (like GoogleTalk).

I decided to get away from Webmail Notifier, and use the standard mail application with Google's POP access. This seems to work, as there is a sound, and there is a little visual notifier which shows the sender and some of the subject - this is awesome.

Problem is, I'm more interested in the audio notification. The sound that the standard mail app (ossemail ?) uses is very faint, and I can't increase it's volume or change the sound at all.

So I've hunted around for other e-mail applications which could possibly fulfil this need, and haven't really found anything good.

The latest application that I'm using is Claws Mail, which gives the ability to check the GMail pop server more often (ossemail and web notifier were limited to every 5 minutes). Also, Claws Mail has the ability to run a command-line app every time a new message comes in! This is great, but I have no idea what command line apps I could run which would play a sound, or display the message summary.

The Claws Mail app isn't exactly the best e-mail client when it comes to the user-interface, but it's a step closer for me

I was hunting around for a command-line mp3 or wav player, but didn't find one for Maemo, so I'm kinda stuck here.

Is anyone else trying to satisfy this problem for themselves, and can you provide any input on what you've found? If there's a better e-mail client out there than Claws Mail, which provides the features I'm looking for, please do tell!

Thanks,
-Bobby

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
if you use the emelfm2 filemanager you can go in and change the email sound...ive got mine set as the loud POW from the old yahoo messenger sounds. if you feel you are able to do that then ill tell ya how.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
I use imap gmail using modest which gives a blue flashing d-pad and short detail of the message every time there is a new email, only draw back is min 5mins checking.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerrymoth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
if you use the emelfm2 filemanager you can go in and change the email sound...ive got mine set as the loud POW from the old yahoo messenger sounds. if you feel you are able to do that then ill tell ya how.
I've installed emelfm2, but could use some direction in how to modify the sound. Since emelfm2 allows you to browse the raw filesystem, I'm guessing the configuration for email sound resides in a text file somewhere, or is a symlink?

Thanks for your help,
-Bobby

Well, I think I figured it out..

All the sounds reside in /usr/share/sounds/ ... simple enough

I originally thought there would be a GUI interface for changing sounds, but I'm comfortable with re-arranging mp3 and wav files on the file-system, so it's all good.

Thanks!

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
If I was gonna do something like this, I'd probably use dbus-scripts to listen for a new mail event (I assume it generates a dbus event?), then have mpg123 play a short mp3. mpg123 can be found on gronmayer.com/it . The bonus with this method is being able to use it with modest, my preferred email client.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
the only thing i cant figure out and cant get anyone to asnwer is when you get a new email the sound actually dings twice... doesnt matter if its the original sound or a new one i really want to be able to make the sound play only once per message not twice ( got a wav file of R Lee Ermey saying MAIL CALL!! that i want to use)

I wrote a full tutorial on customizing sounds in the wiki.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_sounds

Hello everyone, this is my setup for email notification, first and most important my cellular company has a service where you can send sms with an email account like cel#@rek2.com.mx, having this activated I created a mobil hotmail account then i configurate the account to send a sms to my cell every time i get an email in that account, with this setup i recive the email notification on my cel without the need of been connected to the internet. Another thing you can do if you have google voice is setting up your account to send an email to that mobil hotmail account every time you have a voicemail or sms, and you will recive a sms notification on your cell.
I hope someone fine this helpful and sorry for my english. Saludos

So is push email a definite no possibility on this even with hacking/etc? Was hoping I could use this device to avoid the need for blackberry. Why doesn't this have push email?