Active Topics

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I have a 16gb sdhc card. It already has 2 partitions, fat32 and ext2. Running from my n800, how do I format the ext2 partition (i.e. erase ALL data)?

what I'm asking for is the command-line command.

thank you

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Try 'mk2efs'

You will need to be root.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Iliaden - your avatar is *very* cool. I was a math major until a class innocently titled "Basic Algebra 1" kicked my rear in my senior year as an undergrad; this was after I had managed to pass ~ 80 hours of calculus, diffeq's vectors, stats, etc. The class was my intro to Fields, Ideals Monoids and Group Theory. The only "numbers" in the entire book were 0 and 1. The take home final was simply: "Prove the Chinese Remainder Theorem".

Sadly, I could not. The prof had mercy on me, gave me a 'C' and I was allowed to switch my major to Computer Science.

But, I still sign my name with the 'S' drawn as an integral sign, from -infinity to +infinity. I love math - just not smart enough to make a living at it. I still read Sci Am and greatly enjoy the occasional math article, particularly mathematics dealing infinity.

Steve

BTW it = 69

Last edited by stevecrye; 2008-06-11 at 22:07.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by iliaden View Post
I have a 16gb sdhc card. It already has 2 partitions, fat32 and ext2. Running from my n800, how do I format the ext2 partition (i.e. erase ALL data)?

what I'm asking for is the command-line command.

thank you
assume you already has the repository,
xterm
sudo gainroot
apt-get install e2fsprogs
umount /media/mmc1 (if external card on N8x0)
mke2fs /dev/mmcblk1p2 (mmcblk0p2 if internal card on N8x0)

more info here, http://schmots.blogspot.com/, start from the 2nd part "Dual booting...."

bun

thanks... mke2fs (or mkfs.ext2) was the command I was looking for. turned out that some time spent googling gave faster results than forums. oh well...

@stevecrye : I have only taken Calculus I and II, Differential equations and Linear Algebra I and II. next semester, I only have physics, chemistry and organic chemistry... no math
(and yeah, it =69. I found this in a "security" check on some site. I was able to pass it, though it did filter out ALL the bots trying to access it!)

Now that's just sad; bots are computers, and computers are supposed to be good at math.

yeah, but, as it is well known, they are written by people. And since people know that not everything may be integrated, they program the computers in such a manner that they don't attempt to do so. otherwise, all the power would be drained to pointless operations, ranging from graphic design to relationship advice.

Note: Eliza IS human. her soul was trapped within a machine. THOSE MONSTERS!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to iliaden For This Useful Post: