Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I've just discovered how you can modifiy or remove system sounds!! In order to do this you will need is emelfm2 and gainroot or becomeroot. (x-terminal is optional for advanced users or for people who are good at command line). This guide also includes some examples for changing system-startup sounds.

PLEAS CREATE BACKUPS BEFORE DOING THIS. I am not responsible for things you break.

Step 1 Open x-terminal and enter "sudo gainroot"
you shuld be in root shell, enter emelfm2 (you need to do this in order to gain root permissions to your device's file system in emelfm2)

Step 2 In one window go to /usr/share/sounds/ this will put you in the directory contaning most of the system sounds.

Step 3 In the other window, go to the directory ware your new sound files are stored. (example- /media/mmc1) NOTE~ make shure you name your new sound file with the same name as the original file your replacing, also make shure it is in the same format as the original.

Step 4 Using your styles, drag the new file you will use into the window containing the /usr/share/sounds/ directory, it will then ask you if you wish to override the file your replacing. Click yes

congradulations! You have just modified your system sound!!!

For eny more information, here's a example wich includes changing your system-startup sound and shutdown sound.

For startup sound, name your new file "ui-wake_up_tune" and in emelfm2, move it in to the /usr/share/sounds/ directory. It may ask if you want to override, click yes.

The same instructions can be used with shutdown, you only need to name your file "ui-shutdown" instead.

If you need eny help, want to share your costom system sounds or would like to comment pleas do!

P.S. i will eventually add on to this thread for people who want costom backgrounds for skype when i get the chance.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-06-04 at 00:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post: