Active Topics

Hi all,

I'm a part time photographer for a magazine so I would love to be able to view my photos on the n810 instead of the camera's 2 inch screen.

I bought an idotconnect usb multicard reader/writer, and when I switch the N810 over to USB host mode, an Alcor micro corp device shows up as expected. However, once I put my Lexar 2gb Compact Flash card in I keep getting "USB device not supported" over and over. The card works fine in the camera and on my computer's internal card reader. In fact, I can also plug the idotconnect card reader into my computer's USB and access my compact flash card that way.

I was doing some investigating and found that my Transcend 4gb miniSD (with SD adapter) works fine on the N810 when I plug it into the card reader. I see the device show up in File Manager, and I can read and write my files.

So my question is, does anyone else have experience with this card reader? Does it sound like a problem with the card or the reader? Why would maemo seem to like my Transcend minisd card but not my Lexar CF?

Thanks for the advice,
Mike

I think the CF card requires more power to run than the miniSD and the N810 has a very low power supply. If you could power the reader seperately you would probably get it to work with the CF and the N810

No experience with that card reader, but you might try something like this for your CF needs: http://www.amazon.com/SD-CF-Type-Ada...2374952&sr=8-1

Then you can just stick with SD format for both SD and CF. I use one of these with my Nikon 300 and an 8GB SD card and it works fine.

Thanks for the posts, guys. dfinch, that makes sense about the additional power. It's too bad if that's really the case. I assume there's nothing that can be done to boost the power output?

Sentinel, that's a really good idea. Do you think my mini sd card hooked into an sd apater, and then hooked into the CF adapter would work? I searched for a mini sd to CF adapter and couldn't find any, and if I'm gonna go that route, I have 3 mini sdhc cards laying around that I would love to use.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike

Originally Posted by ridgeback View Post
Thanks for the posts, guys. dfinch, that makes sense about the additional power. It's too bad if that's really the case. I assume there's nothing that can be done to boost the power output?

Sentinel, that's a really good idea. Do you think my mini sd card hooked into an sd apater, and then hooked into the CF adapter would work? I searched for a mini sd to CF adapter and couldn't find any, and if I'm gonna go that route, I have 3 mini sdhc cards laying around that I would love to use.

Thanks for the replies,
Mike
You can't boost the power output but you can add an external power source. I know some have found a battery powered unit which frees you from a wall socket. Don't have alink but try a search.

Not that you asked me but two stacked adapters should work fine. I use an xD to CF adapter and have had no problems with respective supporting devices.

Cool, sounds like a have a couple of options. It's going to be so nice once I get this working! Thanks again for all the help!

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
One option, in case your camera has USB port and does act like a mass storage device when hooked up to a PC, you can try to hook it to your N810. (N810 needs to be in USB host mode.) You may be able to see the picture files on your camera and view/copy to your N810.

Last edited by Mara; 2008-06-03 at 22:37.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ridgeback View Post
Do you think my mini sd card hooked into an sd apater, and then hooked into the CF adapter would work?
Yes. Heck, I've done a microSD in a micro->miniSD in a miniSd->SD in a SD->CF adapter in a CF->PCMCIA before. (Not recommended because the CF->PCMCIA was slow. )

I have a Rebel XT, and when I plug the camera directly into the tablet, USB Control recognizes it, but eventually the tablet just shuts down. Is it possible to get the 350D working on the N810?

The Following User Says Thank You to ridgeback For This Useful Post:
How about the USB power cable like this? It has 3 connectors, first one is "output (data+power)", second one is "power source" and third one is "data source" connector. Will the card reader work with external power source (USB power cable) with n810?