Active Topics

Hi there. I've just started using my N800 and have a big problem. I updated to OS2008 last night, and all was going smoothly. Then this morning I paired the tablet with my Stowaway Keyboard, which was easy and works fine (with a touch of lag...). However, it seems after that - I was unable to get the finger keyboard to pop up for text entry. The same for the smaller stylus-tap keyboard.

I went into utilities->control panel-text input but was not able to get it back up and running. Restarting the tablet did the trick, but I'd like to be able to avoid that fix. Any ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to traviswf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Open my first Newbie link. Bookmark it! Enter

bluetooth keyboard disabled stowaway OR IGo

in it. In one of the threads I recommend post 28.

Good luck!!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Ugh.

This device is starting to be more trouble than it may be worth...

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by traviswf View Post
Ugh.

This device is starting to be more trouble than it may be worth...
Either you love it or you hate it sounds like you are starting to hate it.

So far my experiences are not good. I have the issue with the onscreen keyboard not working, and now I cannot for the life of me get my stowaway keyboard to work again. No matter what I do - and I've tried several suggestions I've found by searching the forums - the keyboard will not re-pair up with the N800.

All I wanted was a portable that I could mostly write and edit text files, and have access to the internet. Everything else would be a bonus, and I could expand on what the device does piece by piece.

But if this bare minimum requirement (for my purposes) is this troublesome, then there's little point in keeping it.

You could get a different keyboard; I've got a Palm 3245WW which works flawlessly, and leaves my on-screen board working again as soon as I fold the keyboard up.

But some people have stowaways working flawlessly, too, so I don't really know what bug is being exposed here... Good luck!

The strangest thing has happened - somehow this error stopped happening. I seem to be able to get my keyboard to work fine, and when I disconnect the keyboard by tapping the bluetooth icon and then hitting "Disconnect" - my finger keyboard comes back up.

The weird, and somewhat disconcerting thing, is that I don't know how I fixed it - and I'm not sure if the error will happen again - when I'm intending to get some work done.

I've now rebooted the tablet three times and attempted to repeat the error, all with no result. Keyboard works, I disconnect it, finger keyboard works. I will note that I'm not using the "pair" function in "Bluetooth keyboard," but I'm instead connecting through the bluetooth options in "connectivity" - or through the bluetooth icon at the top of the home screen.

I'm not sure this will help anyone else, as I don't really know what I did - but everything is working fine.

Maybe the tablet heard me complaining and felt bad?

The Following User Says Thank You to traviswf For This Useful Post:
more like the OS is an unfinished heap that should only have been released to developers but because this project was so poorly conceived, they had to realease it to a large community at the expense of ostracizing any potential Consumer grade clients...

Glad it's working for you!

I have the same problem when I connect my USB keyboard. Have you noticed that where the onscreen keyboard would be you have a bar that offers suggestions on word usage?

I end up having to restart.