Active Topics

Poll: Should the automatic profanity filter be turned off?
Poll Options
Should the automatic profanity filter be turned off?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
A poll for the group. Personally, I'm of the opinion that we're (mostly) all adults here and a little profanity here and there isn't something we need to (or should) be protected from, so the automatic profanity blanking should be turned off, and those of us who are particularly offended by it should simply be offered as an individual user setting.

Some may disagree, so I'd like to get a response from the community that (hopefully, if he doesn't feel too strongly about it) Reggie can act on.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I don't care about profanity and sometimes the filter gets in the way - see the *****X thread.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
As I didn't realise there was one, I don't think it matters. I have always found them useless for any purpose, especially as they attract attention to something that wouldn't be noticed anyway and tend to focus on what is considered profanity in the states so less relevant from my POV.
However, I don't see how it could be implimented as an individual setting without quite a bit of work

Last edited by tabletrat; 2008-04-24 at 06:56.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A poll for the group. Personally, I'm of the opinion that we're (mostly) all adults here
Being 15 counts right? Please?

No seriously, I swear a lot and in school, Everyone swears. I don't think anyone on here cares unless, fair enough, it's aimed at a single person or a group rather than general swearing.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'd just as soon leave it in place. I don't know why this forum has brought out this mother****ing prudish side of me, but I think I've liked not reading all that ****ing profanity ****. And I don't think I'd have gained anything worthwhile by having had the forum be filterless.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Leave it on, we have to protect little kids like Qwerty12.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Leave it on, we have to protect little kids like Qwerty12.
****ing make sure it goes off yeh

Otherwise some ****er gonna get merked

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
As I didn't realise there was one, I don't think it matters. I have always found them useless for any purpose, especially as they attract attention to something that wouldn't be noticed anyway and tend to focus on what is considered profanity in the states so less relevant from my POV.
However, I don't see how it could be implimented as an individual setting without quite a bit of work
HTML Code:
<span class="profanity">wankel rotary engine</span>
Edit:
Not to discount the work, but it's not very hard to span-wrap the profanity instead of replacing with *s, and even hardcode the CSS to block it for everyone if desired (saving the work of actually making the switch available.). We all know enough CSS to circumvent it...

BTW, Reggie, thanks for using *** instead of replacing with euphemisms; saves us from people finding clever ways to make it say funny things (classic: Abe Lincoln's buttbuttination) and endlessly posting them. There's a lot less funny things with ***, though I could see *****x becoming a meme here...

Last edited by Benson; 2008-04-24 at 11:44.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It may very well be Reggie's preference. Some people do not like profanity. Turns out my boss is one. Oops.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Being 15 counts right? Please?
For what it's worth: if you hadn't mentioned you were 15, I never would have guessed it. You conduct yourself as an adult as far as "the public" can see (and that's not a bad thing!). Kudos to you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briand For This Useful Post: