Posts: 28 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London UK
I'm trying to become root on my N800 (OS2008) but I'm having issues. I need to execute some shell commands as root to get a bluetooth freedom keyboard to work (following instructions on http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=12660&page=3 ). I tried 3 methods:
  • Red pill mode which works (at least it didn't cause an error) but I don't get a root prompt.
  • I tried installing openssh and it asked me to set a root password but then I couldn't find an openssh program to run. I tried opening an xterm and doing sudo root and entering this password but that didn't work either.
  • I tried sudo gainroot but that just caused an error.

I know this has been asked a million times but the hardware changes, the OS changes, what runs in each OS changes. I think I've tried most things and, while I'm not an sys admin, I'm not a beginner with unix but I'm definitely stuck. Help!

Mike

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
For openssh:

ssh root@127.0.0.1

Red Pill is not root.

Get easyroot from http://www.nitapps.com/ to use sudo gainroot.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
becomeroot

The Following User Says Thank You to jellotherat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
[LIST][*]Red pill mode which works (at least it didn't cause an error) but I don't get a root prompt. [/list
That's not a method for gaining a root shell, that's a method for unlocking the "debug" mode in Application manager. You're thinking of flashing the device into R&D mode.

• I tried installing openssh and it asked me to set a root password but then I couldn't find an openssh program to run. I tried opening an xterm and doing sudo root and entering this password but that didn't work either.
The correct method for getting a root shell using ssh is:

Code:
ssh root@localhost
  • I tried sudo gainroot but that just caused an error.
You need to either enable R&D mode or install either becomeroot or easyroot (they're virtually identical, except easyroot also allows you to just type root.

I know this has been asked a million times but the hardware changes, the OS changes, what runs in each OS changes. I think I've tried most things and, while I'm not an sys admin, I'm not a beginner with unix but I'm definitely stuck. Help!
The methods for gaining root access really haven't changed since the 770, you just mixed up 3 methods for gaining a root shell and one method for getting Application manager into "debug" mode into 3 completely new (and useless) methods.

As you seem to have gotten furthest with the ssh method, perhaps it's best you stick with that, although both the easyroot and becomeroot methods require less typing.

I'd already tried becomeroot but couldn't find it in my list of installable applications. I guess I'm missing a repository (or whatever you call it).

The ssh command worked!!!!!

Many thanks for the instant replies folks - very impressive.

What is red pill mode then? or Blue pill for that matter. Does it allow you to put really big programs inside a really small machine (alice in wonderland) or does it just cause the metal casing to bend (matrix).

Mike

You answered my questions before I'd finished typing them!

how to become root should be a sticky, and those applications that most itters considerd necessary should either be in the list of installable apps, or should be stickied under a list of "must have" or "most commonly used" apps.