Originally Posted by brontide View Post
There is *no* disk cache code as far as I can tell. I tried this as well in my browser tuning and after rebooting I tried querying the cache about:cache?device=disk fails while about:cache?device=memory still works fine.
The only thing I can think of is making sure microb knows where the cache should be and if it has enough space on that storag medium...

Just ideas, probably not the one that will solve your prob...

No, you're still wrong. If you tried the wifi power setting at 100mw vs 10mw, you WILL notice that your NIT gets REALLY warm--your NIT is wasting power through heat, not to mention running down battery, shortening electronic components life. Additionally, if you checked power settings on your wifi router, you WILL notice that it's no more than 70mw. My Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT is set at 28mw by default. I get signal two stories up and throughout the house.

As I used to be a ham (amateur radio operator, K6BTV), I know something about radio and electro-magnetic wave propagation. IF YOU SET YOUR WIFI POWER AT 100 MW, YOU ARE JUST WASTING POWER, RUNNING DOWN YOUR BATTERY, HEATING UP YOUR N8X0, KILLING ELECTRONICS INSIDE IT. Yes, it sounds good that you're running your NIT with 100 mw, 10 times more powerful than the puny 10 mw, right? WRONG!!! Unless you're in Iceland or Finland (thus needing a heat source), you ARE better off running 10 mw on your NIT. AT 100 mw, most of the power is wasted through heat. AND it will run down your battery. I ran my N800 at 100mw, watched a few youtube videos and it went from over 90% to 40% battery level--my N800 also got very warm, especially on the right side. You CANNOT deny that your N8x0 device is impervious to power leakage and heat waste when it's set at 100mw. I'd think FCC would want you to run your radio devices using as low power as possible.

I just wish that Nokia gave us more choices than either 10 or 100 mw and gave us wifi antenna jack.

As for the other setting (Power Saving: Max, Intermittent or None), there's not a whole lot of difference. Some people have noticed that switching from Max Power Saving to Intermittent or None gave better performance at least browsing-wise. I didn't see any difference on mine.

Now, the metalayer-crawler... Even if you disable the daemon from starting up, you can still manually start the process when you it to re-index your media. Just type and run as root:

/etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 start

When you're done, put "stop" at the end of the command above. Very simple, very effective.

I bet you like your shiny new Vista, don't you? I sure don't.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Take issue all you want, but he's still right. The 10mW transmission power has been confirmed by Nokia to only be for regulatory purposes in countries that don't allow the higher 100mW transmissions for non-licensed electronics. It doesn't affect power consumption. [1] Also, changing Max to Intermediate *does* negatively affect power consumption *and* it isn't an issue for many (most?) people. It would be nice if you maybe prefixed that suggestion with "If you're having problems with your wireless connection dropping you might try..."

Also, having had problems with metalayer-crawler in the past I'm the first one to say it has issues and is far from perfect, but if you decide to just disable it, how do you get the built-in media player to play two or more songs in a row? I haven't found a way yet, but maybe I'm missing something obvious. Maybe add "If you no longer use the built-in media player (in favor of Canola, UKMP, etc) and you have battery life issues, consider disabling metalayer crawler on a trial basis, then if all is still good for you here are the steps to disable it semi-permanently (until a reflash)..."

Other than that the list looks good, and it's nice to see someone stepping up to provide it. Thanks!

-John

[1] https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=256

My N800: OS2008, Fanoush's initfs, SanDisk 4Gig x 2 SDHC, BoxWave FlexSkin and Sync Charger, Homebrew External Power Pack (4xAA NiMH Rechargeable 2400 mA)

Greetings from Sunny San Diego, California!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Where are the settings for wifi power?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Where are the settings for wifi power?
settings > connectivity> select a wifi profile > Edit >next >next > Advanced > other

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by jamesc760 View Post
No, you're still wrong. If you tried the wifi power setting at 100mw vs 10mw, you WILL notice that your NIT gets REALLY warm--your NIT is wasting power through heat

As for the other setting (Power Saving: Max, Intermittent or None), there's not a whole lot of difference. Some people have noticed that switching from Max Power Saving to Intermittent or None gave better performance at least browsing-wise. I didn't see any difference on mine.
Your description of problems sounds like you are using an AP that doesn't properly support powersavings mode. It works in combination with your AP and by itself it can't do as much.

EDIT:

Specifically WMM/WME mode on an AP allows HUGE powersavings on the Nokia's ( as well as lots of other devices as well ) by allowing the devices to "doze" without timing out or running afoul of congestion protocols.

http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge_center/wmmpowersave

Last edited by brontide; 2008-04-08 at 18:05.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Unless you're in Iceland or Finland (thus needing a heat source), you ARE better off running 10 mw on your NIT. AT 100 mw, most of the power is wasted through heat.
That's what I heat my house with. In fact I need a few more during the long dark winters. Just a little extra to take the edge off when the geo heat isn't quite enough.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
No, you're still wrong...

...As I used to be a ham (amateur radio operator, K6BTV), I know something about radio and electro-magnetic wave propagation. IF YOU SET YOUR WIFI POWER AT 100 MW, YOU ARE JUST WASTING POWER, RUNNING DOWN YOUR BATTERY, HEATING UP YOUR N8X0, KILLING ELECTRONICS INSIDE IT...

...I bet you like your shiny new Vista, don't you? I sure don't...

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!

... but in January of '07 I was a newbie with the N800.

First off it ain't Vista.
I have used my tablet and OS2007 with its anemic Opera browser and watched and participated as OS2008 and MicroB were developed. Power management has been greatly improved and there is no indication that improvements will not continue.

I would kick it down to 10mw if for some reason I find that I am forced to use the WiFi connection continuously for 4 hours close to an acess point but without access to a charger. That hasn't happened yet but it's nice to know I have that option if it is ever needed. Until then, I ain't changing nothin' and will continue to stomp my 100mw carbon footprint at the risk of connection hiccups and the resulting time suckage.

And speaking of time suckage, I feel your original statement...
If you're a newbie, you may want to take a look at this guide for improved performance of your N8x0 unit running OS2008.
...needs a caveat.

The three times that I have had to re-flash my device (other than firmware updates) have been because I fubar'ed my browsing experience after making changes to the preferences using "about:config".

Not all changes required a re-flash and some changes like "font.minimum-size.x-western" were welcomed but, all the re-flashes were prompted by changes that were made and could not be quickly undone.

What I'm saying is... Mistakes made in the browser preferences file may be a bit harder to identify and correct for the average "newbie" and could break page rendering functions and JAVA scripts.

BTW: I still can't figure out how enabling memory on disk will do anything when there is no "disk" device identified in the firmware???

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-04-09 at 01:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
BTW: I still can't figure out how enabling memory on disk will do anything when there is no "disk" device identified in the firmware???
To an application like MicroB any filesystem is a "disk". That being true, it doesn't change the fact that the settings don't do anything because the disk caching code is not in the build ( apparently, I tried to get it working myself ).

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
There is *no* disk cache code as far as I can tell. I tried this as well in my browser tuning and after rebooting I tried querying the cache about:cache?device=disk fails while about:cache?device=memory still works fine.
Any resolution on this issue?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Thanks, this was a really useful thread for my 'fix my sluggish N810' project

The one point in the initial list that I got a question about is:

4. Copy Windows fonts to /home/user/.fonts directory and reboot.

Why (what does it do/change) and how do you do it?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-04-26 at 15:10.