Has any one managed to get a genealogy program running under OS2008 (N810) yet.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Do you have any example of open source Gtk genealogy program to try ?

GRAMPS is written in python and uses GTK.

Genes is written in C++ and uses GTK.

Both apps throw a ton of fields on the screen at the same time and might not be conducive to a handheld device.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrklaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
What about using a web-based app like http://www.familylink.com/? It allows you to import and export GEDCOM files, and the "compact" view looks like it would fit on the screen pretty well (I don't have my N800 with me so I can't test it).

I'll just point out some tools
I
looked at almost a year ago
, but haven't looked at since. I may have the files still if any one wants the one I got to compile. PM me if you're interested.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
Is anyone still interested in a genealogy app for the N8x0? I am currently working on one, though it is extremely limited due to my skills, and will not be nearly as 'rich' as the desktop ones.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Is anyone still interested in a genealogy app for the N8x0? I am currently working on one, though it is extremely limited due to my skills, and will not be nearly as 'rich' as the desktop ones.
Hi,
I'm interesting in such a program. GRAMPS is too heavy for the small screen of N8x0

Originally Posted by vitasam View Post
Hi,
I'm interesting in such a program. GRAMPS is too heavy for the small screen of N8x0
Hello vitasam! You are the first/only one to express interest so far. I started a separate thread here a while ago:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27041

If you try it, let me know what you think. It works on the desktop was well, but for that purpose I personally use 'FTree' myself -- even though I could now use my own app

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by darethehair View Post
Hello vitasam! You are the first/only one to express interest so far. I started a separate thread here a while ago:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=27041

If you try it, let me know what you think. It works on the desktop was well, but for that purpose I personally use 'FTree' myself -- even though I could now use my own app
Hello!
I've ibstalled your program. Installation was Ok, no any problems.
I have couple of questions:
- Does program support Unicode? I'm using records on Russian;
- Are you familiar with GRAMPS? Can this program be used as a "field data editor", for gathering data from relatives, e.g. during visits and exporting it later in to GRAMPS?

vitasam:

1) I don't think my program supports Unicode -- at least I made no efforts to do so, unless it 'just works' by accident

2) Yes, I am familiar with GRAMPS. I made my best efforts to support basic GEDCOM reading/writing, which (as you probably know) is the standard exchange format for genealogical data. I would assume that GRAMPS can use/import GEDCOM data in that case (?). Check the README file for everything that I have to say about 'MGedcom'. Originally, it was my intent just to develop a GEDCOM 'reader', but with a lot more effort I tried to turn it into a 'writer' as well -- for the express purpose of being able to use it as a 'field data editor' as you mention. You will need to try it to see if I have succeeded

I suggest that you move this conversation to the 'MGedcom' thread instead of this one.