Notices

Well...

By far, I enjoy Canola 2 more than any desktop application I have found. That includes Banshee, Song Bird, xmms, etc, etc...

I was wondering if maybe the geniuses behind this magnificent software would port it (or *hint hint* make it open source? Eh, eh?) to Linux running on i386 machines and the like.

I'd love to be able to run that full screen on my laptop, either using the keyboard to control it, or a cool mouse point, maybe shaped like the track position orb in the "Flat Black" theme.

Just a thought...

I'd use it

Thanks a lot, guys, can't believe it's come so far so fast!

(Oh, and on an unrelated note... maybe we could get that plugin api and such soon? I'd love to be able to get out of Hildon once and for all for my apps, and this seems like an absolutely perfect way.)

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Aisu

First: you can already try the plugin development, downloading the source code for the youtube plugin from the website (developer's corner). We are preparing not only more examples but also a simple "way" for those not keen on installing the whole EFL stack (or windows or mac users).

About the desktop version :

Actually we don't use scratchbox so this :

And the guys did a desktop engine so canola is fully functional with the mouse but the point is :

a) I have been talking to Gustavo about this desktop version since the beginning, and he was just amazing in taking this "seriously" possible and the ui is already "fully" scallable from 800x480 until full HD (his monitor) so was really common to get in the room and see him with Canola full HD

But the thing is : there would be the need for some work to do a great desktop experience, I already designed (actually just sketched) some of these modifcations (bigger icons, possibility to control with a simple remote) and more, so if in the future we achieve our goal (release as full open source) I would like to give away this designs so if people decides to do the Desktop version, I would love to contribute with the interaction design ( and who knows, change a little bit the OSS way, and have a interaction design as lead of a project? )) just to keep the quality of the interaction as high as possible

But for now we don't have expectations for that : /

*I personally would just love to see Canola on the desktop

Cheers,

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Dear god x_x

It feels so close, yet is so far away! Maybe you could simply post the compiled desktop version? No need to optimize it or anything, no source at all, just something to let people see how great (or bad) this could be on the desktop. Please

Or, if not... Maybe a screenshot with Canola at full screen?

You know, I have to say Canola on the desktop isn't such a bad idea IMHO. Even though I mostly use my Mac, my N800 & Canola (and occasionally Kagu for audioscrobbling) has just about eliminated my need for iTunes. Canola is simple to use but visually interesting; it could easily fill a niche on Linux desktops.

Hi Aisu,

Like I was saying in the portrait version if people shows interest... I can do something
We are preparing a compiled version for the desktop indeed for those interested in testing their python plugins

Traecer : audioscrobbling is coming we are just finishing the log in system to last.fm and optimizing our code

The thing is really what I said : it doesn't work that well today because you need to move too much the mouse

But the good news : since the beginning I designed canola to be as easy as possible to be controlled by a 4 way remote with 3 aditional buttons (select, back and options) so the work is not that big...

I agree with traecer : Macs already have the great front row and windows the windows media player, but linux would for sure benefit of canola desktop

Marcelo

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
I would like to see Canola2 on my Desktop be it a Linux, MAC, Win PC.

What I like about Canola as distinct from say iTunes and Windows Media Player is it does not attempt to take over all media tasks, messing with the way a user sorts his/her AV Media in such a way that makes it more difficult to transfer media between software and Hardware players and their respective OS etc.

I like Canola's simplicity and look forward to the addition of a YouTube Search feature for all our served media folders in addition to Canola stored URL's, Pod/Vod cast feeds and Internet radio stations.

I also feel that opening Canola up to a larger potential user community especially on Linux would benefit the NIT community with hopefully increased interest in Plugins to/for Canola.

Hei guys

I would like to say that this is coming, and if everything goes right you will have it at least for linux

Video :

http://blip.tv/file/776098/

It's fully functional, has some small problems in fullscreen (some screens are not yet ready for fully scalable uis ) but you can test everything in windowed mode.

Also, there's two more tutorials coming, and gustavo published one simpler one for those that were not too keen to try the more complex youtube source code :

http://blog.gustavobarbieri.com.br/2...lugin-example/

We think that if we can release this tar file (the generation is also automatic, so it will be updated with each new release) it would be quite nice for developers that want to try out.

For windows and mac users there's a solution (not a good one but..) you can run a live cd of ubuntu (in vmware client for example) and do all development inside, the same way you would do it on the device.

Kudos for fleury and the rest of the team, and I will now try to do what it takes to release this asap

Marcelo

Last edited by handful; 2008-03-26 at 22:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot, Marc, I'm drooling over here

Thanks so much for the pics and video, I can't wait till this is released...

*edit*

Just had a little thought... What if this became a whole freakin' development platform for Linux desktops? Canola would be an amazing base for any project.... This could be so amazing!

Last edited by Aisu; 2008-03-27 at 02:18.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Guatemala City, Guatemala
if people shows interest... I can do something
DEFENNETLY INTERESTED MARCELO!!! Looks amazing!
With more horsepower Canola would run even better!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Very cool!