Active Topics

I have no inside information at all, this is purely the work of my imagination.

Chew on these facts and tell me what you think.

1. Garmin announced they are releasing the nuvifone GPS + phone a few months ago. It is supposed to be released in Q3 2008. www.garmin.com/nuvifone

2. It is getting surprisingly little gadget buzz.

3. It looks a lot like a smartphone and it is pretty clearly using the QT toolkit from looking at their screenshots.

4. Garmin has job posting related to embedded Linux and QT toolchain software development. Nokia now owns QT.

5. To me, the button placement in a couple of product shots is very maemo-esque.

What if the Nuvifone is built on Maemo technology with Nokia helping them get into the cell phone market?

Anybody have any analysis to confirm or deny this totally wild speculation?
David

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
I have no inside information at all, this is purely the work of my imagination.

3. It looks a lot like a smartphone and it is pretty clearly using the QT toolkit from looking at their screenshots.
Good observation!

4. Garmin has job posting related to embedded Linux and QT toolchain software development. Nokia now owns QT.
The Nokia-Trolltech deal is not a done deal. The EU still needs to give it's ok.

5. To me, the button placement in a couple of product shots is very maemo-esque.

What if the Nuvifone is built on Maemo technology with Nokia helping them get into the cell phone market?

Anybody have any analysis to confirm or deny this totally wild speculation?
David
It uses Qtopia.

The Following User Says Thank You to lpotter For This Useful Post: