Active Topics

Hello,

For those of you who've been here for awhile, how close is the development team to a PIM or Office like app for the N810?

I've been looking at the Palm series, but like the looks of the N810 better. However, I need it for day to day calendar/contact mgmt use, as my phone s/w just doesn't cut it.

I read the PC Mag review, which is tilting me even farther in the N810 direction, but don't want to spend the dough, when I can get the Palm TX for around the same price.

Thanks for any pointers.

harleyb

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
What development team?

Originally Posted by harleyb View Post
Hello,

For those of you who've been here for awhile, how close is the development team to a PIM or Office like app for the N810?

I've been looking at the Palm series, but like the looks of the N810 better. However, I need it for day to day calendar/contact mgmt use, as my phone s/w just doesn't cut it.

I read the PC Mag review, which is tilting me even farther in the N810 direction, but don't want to spend the dough, when I can get the Palm TX for around the same price.

Thanks for any pointers.

harleyb
Various people are developing various things; Nokia has said nothing of developing PIM or office apps.

Gnumeric exists and works nicely.
Abiword exists as a closed beta, not sure how well it works.

GPE is well spoken of as a PIM; can sync with gcal via erminig.

If your phone doesn't cut it, I'm not sure any N8x0 software will do it. You might consider gcal, but that requires internet. (Doable, if your plan permits; you can tether your phone via BT.)

Uhhh, Maemo.org, according to the PC Mag review.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ St Thomas, ON, Canada
Hello harleyb:

Today Nokia announce a $90 price drop to $389, just to wet your appetite.

There is Winzig as a very minimalist pim that works great.

As mentioned GPE calender syncs with Google Calendar and is very usable.

Gnumeric works, there are lots of apps if willing to look and experiment.

Good Luck
Al

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
You should also look at Garnet, which runs Palm apps in emulation on the Tablets. See, e.g., http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11672 and http://www.internettablettalk.com/20...ternet-tablet/

There is a Google search for this forum on the home page. Stick in "Garnet" and what you're interested in and search.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

As others pointed out before, Nokia doesn't provide PIM and office applications. Open source developers do. If you want/need PIM you've got several options, none is perfect, most is beta/unfinished but usable: GPE, a simple PIM suite, used on most Linux gadgets; Pimlico, a relatively new PIM suite; winzig, google calender, ...

Thanks for all the replies and pointers. The availability of winzig, gnumeric and so forth, are really pushing me toward the N810.

As soon as I get my economic stimulation check, I'll be getting one.

Cheers,

harleyb

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by harleyb View Post
Uhhh, Maemo.org, according to the PC Mag review.
Yeah well, if you get your "information" from the PC Mag rag...

Have you ever actually visited maemo.org and tried to find that elusive office development team?

Make sure you do a lot of research on Gnumeric and Contact/Calendar apps for the N810. Make sure they fit your needs, as it likely won't be what you expect.