Active Topics

Since I have no clue, I can ask without being laughed at, right? Is it possible even in theory for someone to build an S60 emulator that would run on the NIT? If it could be done, can you imagine e.g all those sweet N-Gage coming up on the N810?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Of course it's possible in theory. Technically you can make an emulator for just about any OS on any platform-- the issue is one of practicality, ie, how much of the emulation is pure software and what sort of hardware will be running it (don't expect to emulate a VAX on the 770 ). In this case I would say a large part of it, and the emulator might run very poorly. But I don't know that for certain.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
...don't expect to emulate a VAX on the 770
You mean I've been holding onto my VAX assembler books for nothing?

Feh. You think you're so special with your VAX assembler. Like we VAX VMS-Basic scripters were lowlifes.

Texrat, thanks! A broader question I had in mind the other day waz: wonder what Nokia is thinking in terms of integrating internet tablets to its Ovi, and other services? Wouldn't it be fantastic to be able to completely - and completely seamlessly manage - your Ovi stuff with an IT (sure, this is the easy part) but also play your N-Gage games ( some of them possibly online in a massive group), purchase music from the Nokia Music Store, save it on the IT, your Phone, PC.. I know much of this easy on paper but wonder how much they have done thinking in terms of how to make the experience as smooth as possible and maximize the strenghts of each device...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Technically you can make an emulator for just about any OS on any platform-- the issue is one of practicality, ie, how much of the emulation is pure software and what sort of hardware will be running it
Symbian/S60 does not have to be emulated: it is already running on OMAP2420 chips in many Nokia phones. So, in theory, the tablets could run Symbian, just like their 7710 prototype.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Symbian/S60 does not have to be emulated: it is already running on OMAP2420 chips in many Nokia phones. So, in theory, the tablets could run Symbian, just like their 7710 prototype.
Good to know. I was wondering "out loud" in that post. Working for Nokia has not made me an expert in S60 by any means.

I wouldn't want to replace the current OS (linux) with Symbian, but an emulator could be interesting.. emulators are interesting. Can't say I've heard about a symbian emulator though, not that I've looked hard.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
You can always try to run the old Psion SIBO emulator in DOSbox. Although it was a pretty finnicky beast, and refused to run in either Windows' or even OS/2's dos boxen at the time.

It's not Symbian, but hey! it's an emulator, right?

This is something I've been thinking about myself. I think it would be a great idea to have an S60 emulator for the internet tablets and open it up to even more applications like with the Garnett VM.