Hi all,

My n810 died this morning ... will not power on, battery will not charged when plugged in. Nothing out of the ordinary happened: no power surge, no physical damage. I bought it in early December. I'm assuming there is some kind of warranty or exchange, but if anyone has any ideas on how I can bring this particular unit back to life, I'd love to here it.

I'd also be willing to sell it to anyone who would be interested, PM me for details/pics of the unit.

Thanks,
Gotcha

If its a month or 2 old you really should be able to exchange it...

Fact about all these new-fangled interweb devices is, they're real fragile on the inside and anything at all could cause it to die... Static electricity, solar flare, a flying saucer in your yard. If it won't power on at all and you can't plug it into a computer and reflash it, I'd say its a brick.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I bet it's the battery.

I don't know about these things being particularly fragile -- I haven't been careful with mine and it's lasted just fine.

When you say it died this morning, you mean it was running and you were on the Internet and it just went out like a lightbulb?

Or you mean you woke up and it was dead?

I bet it was the latter, again probably the battery. But you probably need to send it back to Nokia.

I've noticed my N810 seems to have a hard time starting up again after I select "switch off". Makes me wonder if it's shutting down or just dropping power? Almost acts like it's doing an fsck when I power it back on.

Battery power was low last night. Switched it off, plugged it in. It never went to "charging", just sat there with a the work NOKIA in blue on a white screen.

Same thing this morning. Pulled the battery a couple times. Appears as if it's going to boot, but continues to just sit there with the blue NOKIA...

Suggestions?

Is there an effective way to contact Nokia?

I'd like to see if they could diagnose this problem remotely before I mail it off to them.

BTW, I also tried bringing it up in "target" mode by holding down the "swap" key while powering it on.

I get a little blue "USB" icon in the upper-right corner for a split-second, and then it goes away.

My N810 just sits there with the blue NOKIA on a white background.

Mike

Last edited by michael_aos; 2008-02-06 at 17:00.

Update -- after performing as a nightlight for a while, I think the battery finally wore out.

When I plug-in (charge) the N810, I get the same blue NOKIA on a bright white screen.

As I recall, it used to say something like "CHARGING" in the past.

Mike

No worries.

It is an all-known issue.

1.Take easy drink tea or coffie first.
2.fullly charging the battery more than two hours.
3.take out the battery and press power on button for 15 second.
4.put on the battery and hold power on button till power on(30 second).

if it is still not working.try power it on while charging.

good luck

I charged it for an hour. Pulled the battery, held "power" button for 15 seconds.

Re-installed the battery, held the power-on for 30-seconds.

It came up with the blue NOKIA and bright white background. It is periodically cycling between bright white and dimmed white background. Still the blue NOKIA in the center of the screen.

Every couple of minutes, which it cycles between bright & dim background I get the impression it WANTS to boot.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to michael_aos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by michael_aos View Post
BTW, I also tried bringing it up in "target" mode by holding down the "swap" key while powering it on. I get a little blue "USB" icon in the upper-right corner for a split-second, and then it goes away.
With usb cable attached to tablet and PC? Never tried but I guess it will not stay in this mode if cable is not attached to PC.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Just verified -- USB icon disappears after about 1s, even with the USB cable connected to PC.

Any other super-secret combinations to force a hard reset?

I don't mind losing my previous configuration.

Mike