Active Topics

Hi.

I just bought my N800 about a week ago. I am very happy with it so far. One of my wishes is to make normal phone calls from the N800 without pulling out my cell phone. I tried a software called Phone Link that is supposed to let users dial and send Text messages from the N800 via bluetooth connection to the the normal cell phone. I couldn't get it to work. Is there any other alternative for this or are there any tips for using this software successfully?

Cheers

Anand

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Skype, gizmo, ITT wiki, searching threads on these programs.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Originally Posted by anand View Post
Hi.

I just bought my N800 about a week ago. I am very happy with it so far. One of my wishes is to make normal phone calls from the N800 without pulling out my cell phone. I tried a software called Phone Link that is supposed to let users dial and send Text messages from the N800 via bluetooth connection to the the normal cell phone. I couldn't get it to work. Is there any other alternative for this or are there any tips for using this software successfully?

Cheers

Anand
what is your phone model ?
where are your contacts store (GPE or Built-in) ?
what kind of problem do you have with phonelink ?

Hi.
The phone model is: N800
I downloaded GPE Contacts for trying the PhoneLink. I have some contacts in there
Whenever I open the software, i get a message 'config file can't be read'. Where do I do this setup?
Thanks.
Anand

selfone -- search for it, it's a project started to make the N800 function as a handsfree.

Originally Posted by nosam View Post
Don't these require Wi-Fi connections? I think the guy may be looking for a normal cell phone signal to use... (at least, I would.)

Originally Posted by nosam View Post
Dude, don't tell him to search if you can't even read his post correctly. He is looking for an app that links a cellular device to the tablet, not SIP apps.

AFAIK, Phonelink was the only one I have ever tried and I couldn't get it to work either. I seem to remember seeing something else, can't remember though. Ekiga? Or was that an SIP phone app?

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
My mistake - I misread his post. Sorry to annoy you Bart - at least I didn't complain and tell him to search for the answers - I thought he wanted SIP software and was telling him where to find the info. Sorry anand for my not so usefull reply.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by bartsimpson123844 View Post
Dude, don't tell him to search if you can't even read his post correctly. He is looking for an app that links a cellular device to the tablet, not SIP apps.

AFAIK, Phonelink was the only one I have ever tried and I couldn't get it to work either. I seem to remember seeing something else, can't remember though. Ekiga? Or was that an SIP phone app?
Phonelink works with my W810 (mostly), I can call people and that's it. I have no idea how contacts show up in phonelink, I added them to GPE-Contacts & integrated contacts and I can't get them to show up. Anyway, I'm not here to hijack the thread so please excuse me.

To the OP, you could try gnokii in terminal (though afaik, phone link uses gnokii).

Ekiga is an SIP phone app.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
when installed phonelink looks for the phone you might have configured to use with the IT upon first boot. if it finds it it generates a valid gnokii config file.
if not you have to write it yourself : there is an example in http://garage.maemo.org/phonelink.
if you want phonelink to show your GPE contacts you have to install contactInfos !
it always helps to know your phone model (and no N800 is not a phone)