Active Topics

Okay, so I'm getting an N800 on February 4th and I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the optimal video conversion settings and all that, or if someone could link me to a tutorial, that would be even better.
2. How would I go about upgrading my N800 from OS2007 to OS2008? Or does it come pre-installed now.
3. More questions on the way...

NEW QUESTIONS!

4. I've heard about this Torrent Client called "Transmission" (?) and was wondering how that worked out. Where does it download the files to?

5.How many programs can I install?

6. I've heard about partitioning my SD card to have "unlimited space for apps". How would I go about doing that

Thanks to those who answer the questions!

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by idboehman View Post
Okay, so I'm getting an N800 on February 4th and I have a couple of questions:

1. What are the optimal video conversion settings and all that, or if someone could link me to a tutorial, that would be even better.
2. How would I go about upgrading my N800 from OS2007 to OS2008? Or does it come pre-installed now.
3. More questions on the way...
1. don't worry... install MPlayer and play nearly all videos..

2. download a new flash image, along with a 'flasher' utility, both from nokia (you'll need to enter your N800's MAC address, found on the outside of the box, underneath the battery, or in the 'About' item in the N800's Control Panel...

3. don a thick skin, use the search function here, and ask away!

:-)

Originally Posted by idboehman View Post
NEW QUESTIONS!

4. I've heard about this Torrent Client called "Transmission" (?) and was wondering how that worked out. Where does it download the files to?

5.How many programs can I install?

6. I've heard about partitioning my SD card to have "unlimited space for apps". How would I go about doing that

Thanks to those who answer the questions!
4. haven't used it, but i assume (and you know what can happen when one does that, right?), that you can save the torrent on the internal or external mmc card...

5. depends on what you install, how you use your n800, and how you set up your n800... i'm pretty 'stock,' and just use the available 'internal' storage, but have not run out of room even after installing more than 100 different additional programs (there are many commands installed you may not be aware of unless you use the command line)

6. that's an advanced subject.... i'll let others chime in here with pointers to wikis, howto, or other threads...

- you don't say how experienced you are with Linux... if you're a long-time Linux user, or someone adept at using a *nix, you won't have any trouble...

- the n800 is a dream come true for *nix hackers... (part of this attraction is the easy-to-use SDK - not quite a 'userland' install, but easy to set up nonetheless)...

have a lot of fun

- oh, and as a standard retort:

- most folks upgrade to os2008 right away

a side note: (i have several n800s... the one i use most right now is os2007, with apps and settings tweaked to my satisfaction - i could never upgrade it again and i'd be happy with it the way it is; the other is flashed to os2008, but i anticipate an os2008 upgrade in the upcoming months, so i'm not going to spend a lot of time futzing with it - it's more for experimentation)...

- next, install osso-xterm

- next, install openSSH

- you can then simply become root by ssh'ing to localhost

- otherwise, install the 'becomeroot' package...

(i've used both, and i find becomeroot a tad easier, but both will work)

The Following User Says Thank You to linux_author For This Useful Post:
my linux experience would be decent, i would say. i've used *ubuntu, suse, fedora, but loved ubuntu the most because it is debian based and i love the apt-get command. btw, typed this from my ds so sorry for any misspellings/ typos

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Fayetteville, AR
I would recommend double 16gb sdhc cards ($74/each at newegg.com); they'll definately come in handy. As far as initial apps to install, these are my recommendations:

Transmission(works great, downloads everything to sd)

VNC viewer (so you can control your desktop remotely, very cool)

Fbreader (e-book reader)

Pidgin (PIM app)

Maemo Mapper

Camera

KDE 3.5.8 v2 (when it's out, and if you're technically inclined enough, this is the Full KDE with Koffice by PenguinBait [he rocks!])

That's what I run, personally. And I would definately update to os2008 (2007, like the year, is over and 2008 is where it's at). Hope this helps.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
#1 read wiki here at ITT and at maemo for video settings. also lots of good threads on this. In the ITT wiki is a pre-set google search for ITT forums, under beginners guide.

Sweet! Thanks guys! Can't wait for february 4th