Active Topics

Hello all,

I would like to play videos on the n800, preferably smoothly and with good audio sync.

I would like to rip some of the DVD's I have, so I have the flexibility to use any codec, ripper and player.

Could please someone tell me what is the:
- best video ripper / converter
- what settings should I use for optimal results (resolution, bit rate etc.)
- what player works best on the n800 to play the file?

Thank you all!

Use DVDShrink to compress the movie, then use Nokia N800 Video Converter to compress it again.

As far as the settings and player you should use, the Video Converter's settings are already optimized for the N800 and the default media player.

i read mplayer is the best? Is this not true?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Baltimore, MD
I have yet to get MPlayer to work correctly. Mainly, sound doesn't sync. This is for unaltered files (have a couple of WMV clips - which look great but the sound was like a second off), and converted files (unsystematically played with a bunch of settings) were still .5 seconds off.

I was getting really ugly pictures with the Nokia Media Converter. Could be the settings I was using, but....

Best results I've gotten are to generally follow Aisu's advice. Handbrake to rip from DVD, using the converter that I think Urho Konttori developed (http://mediaconverter.garage.maemo.o...Converter.html). This gives me a pretty good looking .avi file with the sound synced. I think I use the medium N800 setting, if I remember correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to NSchively For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by NSchively View Post
I have yet to get MPlayer to work correctly. Mainly, sound doesn't sync.
- interesting... i'm using the latest w/os2008 on my n800 and it plays big .avis with no problem (OK, some jerkiness in action-laden scenes, but overall watchable w/no sync problem)?

- btw, i've also used the converter under Linux and it works well (quite fast)...

I'm prolly just clueless. But Media Player with a Handbrake ripped file, converted with UK's converter seems to work well enough to do some fine tuning with the settings....

Yeah - just went back and looked at my video. 28 Weeks Later, and the action sequence at the beginning of the movie (about 9 minutes in) was clipping like crazy in other versions. This one - with the Handbrake & UK converter - pixellates some, but holds steady. Once the action dies down, it's pretty crisp - not HD but these non-discerning eyes are pretty satisfied. File size is about 440M, so I prolly even have some wiggle room to improve the quality.

Hey Gadgetguy... you're lucky folks are cool enough to repost whats already been posted a number of times. seems like the search link isnt bold enough..

Sorry you asked for it since the phrase "best practise" is in the subject of your post!

Thanks for all the replies.

I have done quite a bit of search before posting my initial question.

I was hoping to find (while searching) step by step instructions saying:
1. Take program xxx
2. Use settings ccc
3. -> you get excellent playback on the N800 when using player xxx.

I have not found this kind of information while searching - so I posted my question, asking for best practice...

I still did not get this response, so I think its time to experiment.

If I find the "perfect" program and settings I will post it here...

Originally Posted by Gadgetguy View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I have done quite a bit of search before posting my initial question.

I was hoping to find (while searching) step by step instructions saying:
1. Take program xxx
2. Use settings ccc
3. -> you get excellent playback on the N800 when using player xxx.

I have not found this kind of information while searching - so I posted my question, asking for best practice...

I still did not get this response, so I think its time to experiment.

If I find the "perfect" program and settings I will post it here...
...I thought my reply already covered your response?
There's nothing you have to set in Nokia N800 Video Converter, it is already optimized for the N800.