... the problem is getting online. both can get to 192.168.1.1, but only one can get beyond that onto the web. i've reflashed this device twice since the problem started today, but no luck.

i don't think it's my router, because i can surf with the other 770 no problem- both websites and streaming audio.

i've gone through the settings on both devices side-by-side, and they match- i can't figure out what the difference is.

any ideas?

thanks,

-steve

If both can get to 192.168.1.1 after a clean reflash, it's almost certainly the router. Both 770s are running the same revision of the OS, I take it.

Try the offending 770 on a different wireless network?

The only other non-destructive test I can think of for now:
Reflash the offender, turn off the working one, unplug/replug your router, wait a few minutes, power on the offender, and then try to connect.

You'll need xterm and root access for any further debugging.

The Following User Says Thank You to aleksandyr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I wonder if it is the device identification issue. Your default device name is set by the OS and is the same for every unit/OS combo.

On my home network my N800 shows up as (null) in the DHCP clients table though HOSTNAME shows 'Nokia N800-N50-2'.

Could this be the root cause of WiFi connect issues?

Last edited by rdcinhou; 2008-01-13 at 13:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to rdcinhou For This Useful Post:
i'm doubtful of the device id angle- i hadn't fired up the older, properly functioning unit for weeks until the newer unit started acting funny (older one has busted headphone jack). also, i've tried changing the name of the device to no avail.

i'll try resetting the router later today- once wifey leaves the house ;-)

thanks for the suggestions, and for taking a look!

-steve

bad news- resetting the router didn't do the trick. i'm going to try and install xterm on the bad machine, and see if i can poke around a bit with ifconfig.

one thing i haven't tried since this started happening- connecting at work. i used the unit at work to stream german and dutch radio; i'll test it monday and see whether it still works there.

stuck at home in snow storm today, so i won't be able to make the final test until tomorrow.

in the meantime, i'm trying to get xterm installed. i've put the install file on my mmc card but the installer wants to go online to perform the install. any way around this?

-steve

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by atheist View Post
stuck at home in snow storm today, so i won't be able to make the final test until tomorrow.

in the meantime, i'm trying to get xterm installed. i've put the install file on my mmc card but the installer wants to go online to perform the install. any way around this?

-steve

Go to your neighbor or whatever, just stand outside the door and see whether it picks up another wifi signal.

bun

fixed. i tried restoring the router to factory defaults (which necessitated a half-hour wait on hold with tech support to tell me the default WEP key was printed on the bottom of the router ) i should have done this yesterday; it was not the same as turning it off, or even hitting the reset button with a pencil.

also took the opportunity to set up WEP security, and everything connects fine now. even the 770!

still, it would have been nice to get to the bottom of the issue, and find out what the actual reason for the problem was.

thanks again for all the suggestions; user forums always rock!

-steve