I have an Nokia N800 with OS2008. I wonder if there is an easy way to transfer files from my Windows Vista PC to my Nokia N800 via WLAN?

I read something about Samba in OS2008, but I don't really know what to do..

Is there an easy way to make this kind of connection?

thanks!

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
On the windows pc I use winscp and on my n800 i install openssh.

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php

winscp is a two paned explorer type interface for the PC which allows me to securely ftp (via ip address) to the Nokia N800 and transfer files in either direction over wi-fi securely. (sync files etc)

tip. only install main openssh program on N800 where you will be asked to change password for root if you have not already done so. openshh for NIT's can be found in the maemo extras repository, if you do not have repo already installed in application manager

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeL For This Useful Post:
OpenSSH+WinSCP is my method of choice, however, there is another option which does not require any software installs on the windows box: rdesktop will map the local drives of a client as network accessible drives on the Windows host.

Remeber, this is only true as long as the rdp session is running, so do not close rdesktop once you have initiated the file transfer. I often use this method as a compliment to scp.

Samba is an option too, but the above two methods should cover your needs and are far less cludgy.

Last time I checked the OS2008 File Manager automatically detected my Windows style shares on my NSLU2. Try just setting up a shared folder on your Windows PC and see if you can see it from File Manager.

If using Linux i.e. Ubuntu I am not sure what is the best or most elegant GUI equivalent (Functionally) for winscp, it would be great to be able to use the same open source GUI for use on NIT's, and/or Win, MAC or Linux PC's.

Filezilla perhaps? http://filezilla-project.org/client_screenshots.php

I appreciate that there are many ways to achieve this task in a Linux environment, where I would welcome Linux users experience and guidance on best methods for simplified file, transfer, synchronisation & backup via ideally one GUI application.

i.e what are your favourite Wi-Fi method(s) and why, in order to gauge and conclude whats fits best for overall needs on/with our NIT's

I am aware for example that rsync and more recently grsync (GUI for rysnc) are now available via OS2008 and app manager repositiries.

Could someone explain how to use these tools and how they differ and/or are similar to Filezilla and winscp?

Thanks.

The beauty of winscp on a Windows PC is you can access all areas of the NIT's file structure from the PC and you can do it securely. This then enables you to copy files from the NIT to review on the PC and then pass updated copies back to the NIT. well at least that is my current limited usage understanding.

Working on the NIT's small screen can get very tiring over long periods so having the option to work wirelessly and directly with the NIT (via differing methods) from any PC on your network is a great advantage.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by andyfromtucson View Post
Last time I checked the OS2008 File Manager automatically detected my Windows style shares on my NSLU2. Try just setting up a shared folder on your Windows PC and see if you can see it from File Manager.
Ditto.... just make a shared file in Windows and your N800 will detect it... you'll see it in File Manager. You then can copy and paste any files in the folder to your N800.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
If using Linux i.e. Ubuntu I am not sure what is the best or most elegant GUI equivalent (Functionally) for winscp, it would be great to be able to use the same open source GUI for use on NIT's, and/or Win, MAC or Linux PC's.
If you are suing Ubuntu, and you want to browse the NIT via a GUI, just use the built-in Nautilus under Gnome Desktop. Its quite simple.
1. Install SSH server on your NIT, then
2. On the Ubuntu PC, setup a connection to the NIT via SSH by doing the following:
-Click on Places --> Connect to Server --> Browse Network
-Find the NIT in the network browser, double click it, enter your password, and away you go. Great for dragging and dropping, editting files on the NIT directly, etc.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
If you are using ssh/scp to access your tablet then it is worth creating a private/public key pair and then you don't need to enter a password.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
thanks for your help! ssh/scp works just fine!

what do I have to do to create this private/public key pair?

by the way...is there something like the windows "ipconfig" on the N800?

I didn't succeed with the shared file in windows, but maybe the problem is my ZoneAlarm firewall or all these Vista security "features"...actually I'm too lazy to find out..