when using FBReader,
I am having a problem loading books to the library. The initial set up asks you to change the value of book path option in the General tab. This part confuses me. I have books downloaded to my sd card....so what path do I set? I would like to use this as a book reader, but am stumped right off the bat. Anyone able to explain this to me?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You don't have to mess with that if you don't want to; just open File Manager and double click on the book file and when you are asked what application to open it with, find FBReader!

I don't understand what the issue is -- can't you put a path to the sd card, which would be /media/mmc1 or /media/mmc2 to start with?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't understand what the issue is -- can't you put a path to the sd card, which would be /media/mmc1 or /media/mmc2 to start with?
I don't think he understood where the SD cards were located in the actual filesystem.

/media/mmc1 is the external card
/media/mmc2 is the internal card

Thanks to both of you for answering. With the information that You both gave I should be able to get a book added to the FBReader library. Well, I should, if I can just get the right format of book. Will keep trying!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Nitesky View Post
Thanks to both of you for answering. With the information that You both gave I should be able to get a book added to the FBReader library. Well, I should, if I can just get the right format of book. Will keep trying!
html works best for me, followed closely by rtf and txt.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
html works best for me, followed closely by rtf and txt.
The ones I downloaded are in .pdb, and .zip (of HTML with jpegs). They all seem to work.

I just downloaded some .lit formatted eBooks, but have yet to transfer them to my n800. These are supported, correct?

.lit is a proprietary format that is used by Microsoft's Reader software. A quick check of the features page for fbreader at http://www.fbreader.org/about.php revealed no listed support for .lit. If you need to convert your (totally legal, I'm sure) .lit files you can use any of a number of utilities to do so. ConvertLIT at http://www.convertlit.com looks to be a decent one. I'm not sure whether you will be able to strip out the DRM though if the file wasn't originally licensed to your copy of Reader.

This took me about 30 seconds of searching to find out. How about you spend your 30 seconds next time?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
.lit ebooks would be supported because of Microsoft's famous openness? Not that I know of, but they can be converted by programs available for Windows.

We here at Itt pride ourselves on being the moral policemen of all posters, pointing out why others should not post, while never considering whether it might be good for us to be discrete in our own complaints.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-01-06 at 21:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
.lit ebooks would be supported because of Microsoft's famous openness? Not that I know of, but they can be converted by programs available for Windows.
Given that Microsoft's DRM implementation in *.lit was so ridiculously easy to overcome, one might indeed almost claim the format to be open.

We here at Itt pride ourselves on being the moral policemen of all posters, pointing out why others should not post, while never considering whether it might be good for us to be discrete in our own complaints.
DRM is evil and must be fought wherever possible. The morally righteous are those who crack DRM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post: