Active Topics

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston, Massachusetts
Is there any word from Nokia on whether they will include asian language support in the upcoming OS updates?

I've read much conflicting info on the net ranging from the Nokia 770 hardware is not capable of handling the complex encoding involved (which I find slightly hard to believe) to, they will include asian language support with future releases.

I wonder if anyone is working on a hack/patch (for Japanese) like I used to have for my crappy handspring visor many years ago.

personally, I'm a little tired of not being able to read the mail that I receive in Japanese and browse Japanese web pages.

I have heard from maemo mail list that Asia Language will be supported include locale, fonts, input method and even hardwriting recognization in next version of hardware ...

I use 770 with extra chineses fonts, most of buildin app display correctly except Opera Web Browser ... But, you can use manaos instead

please visit http://openspirits.com , I have some screenshoots for 770 with chinese ...

wow, thanks for the info!

I can survive without input but the ability to read is a big plus.
I was under the impression that there was no stable release of manaos. Let me try installing it again.

also, the inclusion of asian language support in the next hardware release is a welcome development (though that would mean I'd have to buy another device).

I've looked at your web page, and it looks like the 770 is doing a pretty decent job of displaying chinese. This gives me added incentive to experiment a little more.

Thanks again.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by pawa
I have heard from maemo mail list that Asia Language will be supported include locale, fonts, input method and even hardwriting recognization in next version of hardware ...

I use 770 with extra chineses fonts, most of buildin app display correctly except Opera Web Browser ... But, you can use manaos instead

please visit http://openspirits.com , I have some screenshoots for 770 with chinese ...
I can't visit your website. It says "500 Internal Server Error".

I tried to use localedef to make a new locale on the device, but it failed.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by wolfg
I can't visit your website. It says "500 Internal Server Error".

I tried to use localedef to make a new locale on the device, but it failed.
I have added zh_CN locale to the device successfully and now I can view chinese character in browser, rss feed reader, notes, file manager, and maemopad.

Here you can find some screenshots.

Last edited by wolfg; 2006-08-01 at 16:52.

Well I'm just updating this thread.

I was able to install Japanese fonts by following the method for installing chinese fonts posted by Hower on this thread

I can only assume Korean can be made to work in the same manner for those who wanna give it a shot!

happy browsing!

I don't mean to keep on bumping this thread, but I just wanted to report that I've written up Japanese instructions on how to install japanese fonts to view japanese websites on the 770:

ノキア770のブラウザーで日本語表示を可能にする方法:

http://oafbot.com/news/?p=57

If you are a Japanese 770 user, you might also find these sites informative:

http://www.akiran.net/blog/

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/rey/

If you are looking to install chinese look to this thread

Very cool. I'm going to try to apply this as soon as I install Xterm.

I see that you use a font called sazanami-gothic.ttf. Is this the best font available for linux? For my purposes (studying Japanese in college) the more legible the font is, the better..(legible as opposed to a pretty or highly stylized font...)

Originally Posted by Drewvt
Very cool. I'm going to try to apply this as soon as I install Xterm.

I see that you use a font called sazanami-gothic.ttf. Is this the best font available for linux? For my purposes (studying Japanese in college) the more legible the font is, the better..(legible as opposed to a pretty or highly stylized font...)
Yeah, you can use any true type font, but perhaps if you wanna stick with san serifs (usually refered to as gothic fonts in Japan), it might help you read with more legibility as you stated. I just picked sazanami, because it was the only san-serif font available on my linux box (I have a very bare bones linux set-up), and all my japanese fonts on my mac were non true type fonts.

good luck with your Japanese studies!

Thanks. Well, it's working great now. Even the linux-impaired can pull this off.

The other font I found was sazanami-mincho, but I figured that gothic was better as it seems to be much more commonly used.