Active Topics

Edit** To avoid wasting anybodies time, My Tablet is working again after leaving it without it's battery overnight. I'm still interested in positive stories of the N800 working well, so reply if you feel the urge. Many thanks for all the replies so far ** End edit

Hi
I just got my N800 this morning.. It worked perfectly and I was able to get it to connect to my wifi and Bluetooth within minutes, Downloaded some apps, surfed for a bit... Great stuff. I had intended to wait until I got the hang of everything before deciding to flash the OS to 2008.

But then I turned it off. My nice shiny new toy is dead.

From the other threads I have seen on this forum, I'm pretty certain its a fatal hardware fault, so I'll be RMAing it as soon as possible.

The thing I want to know is.. Is it common for the N800 to just die like this? For the short time I was using it, I really liked the N800. And I really want to get it replaced, but I don't want to be sending it back for replacement all the time.

Last edited by JohnBailey; 2008-01-01 at 10:19. Reason: Detailing change in situation to avoid wasting the time of others

Have you tried pulling the battery out for about a minute, then putting it back in and then trying to turn on? (I suppose it just refuses to power up.)
This is probably the same problem alot of other users are experiencing and you can read about it here.

Last edited by bvsciguy; 2007-12-31 at 23:24.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Stillwater, ok
You do know that you have to hold the power button down for several seconds to get it to power, don't you?

I'd do what the previous poster recommended, then put it on the charger for a bit and be sure to hold the power button down until you see the nokia screen.

BTW, Where did you purchase your N800?

Thanks for the replies.

The N800 is completely and utterly dead. I've already scoured the forum and tried every solution and every permutation of battery removal, button pressing duration and frequency that I could find. Nothing lights up even when I plug in the charger.

I wasn't asking for any help getting it to start up, as I'm convinced from reading other posts that it is some kind of hardware failure.

I'm interested in the general experience with rates of failure. I can find plenty of people who have bricked tablets, but in most forums, people rarely post about how well things are working.

Originally Posted by bvsciguy View Post
BTW, Where did you purchase your N800?
Play.com
I ordered it the Friday before Christmas and got it New years eve.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Well, I'm not sure how scientific this will be, but both of the n800s I care for have been flawless. My biz partner's has taken several spills as well and has survived nicely. (it's in a PDair book type case)

The Following User Says Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
its no 770 tank but it can take some hard hits and keep on going ... i have a friend that keeps his in his shirt pocket and it falls out all the time ... still works !!

The Following User Says Thank You to realcomix For This Useful Post:
I keep mine in my jeans' pocket all the time and I have yet to damage the screen nor the structure. I got this n800 in feburary, and it has been working perfectly since. No failures, no nothing. The worst that has happened is a slightly bent power cable pin... which was my own fault (Note to others - Don't fall asleep with your n800 plugged in right next to you).

The Following User Says Thank You to wolf08 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JohnBailey View Post
Hi
I just got my N800 this morning.. It worked perfectly and I was able to get it to connect to my wifi and Bluetooth within minutes, Downloaded some apps, surfed for a bit... Great stuff. I had intended to wait until I got the hang of everything before deciding to flash the OS to 2008.

But then I turned it off. My nice shiny new toy is dead.
OK: every thing is going great then you flash (successfully?) to OS08. Like it went well you opened into the new screen and then you turned it off?
What happened then?