Active Topics

As discussed here, Nokia doesn't allow to change the icons in the left bar. It will always display the Internet and Contacts icons, whether you want them or not.

After installing GPE, Calendar is displayed in the left bar as if Calendar was running all the time.

It's not a big deal, but if people know about how to customize the left bar, I'd like to know.

you can only close calendar by tapping on gpe-calendar then tapping on close. tapping on the "x" in the right hand corner has the same effect as tapping on the reduce symbol.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
What are your ideas for improving the left panel? Could a better panel replace the need for a launcher app? Here are some of my ideas

* Be able to change the items in the Internet and Contacts icons, and the icons.

* Be able to remove the Internet/Contact icons or add different apps. (e.g., a different launcher, a media controller, note/list viewer, or a clock or something.)

* Be able to adjust the height of the menu items so that more than 6 selections will fit on the screen.

* Be able to fit more than three icons in the 'running programs' area.

Also, hitting the home button should bring the entire panel into view so that we don't have to reduce everything to launch a new app (or to view other apps on the bar if we figure out how to change it).

Doesn't that sound like the Ubuntu panel? Hmmm.

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
you can only close calendar by tapping on gpe-calendar then tapping on close. tapping on the "x" in the right hand corner has the same effect as tapping on the reduce symbol.
Is this a bug or a feature? I would consider it a bug because to me "x" means "close". Is there a reason not to close GPE calendar? Alarms, maybe?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by janozaurus View Post
Is this a bug or a feature? I would consider it a bug because to me "x" means "close". Is there a reason not to close GPE calendar? Alarms, maybe?
Yes, if you close GPE calendar all the way (menu ->file ->close) then alarms will not sound until you open GPE calendar again.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Oh yes, I'm very interested to get rid of these 3 icons on the left. I don't use them (appart from the system menu) and they are sooo big. What a waste of room when you don't use them...

Originally Posted by free View Post
Oh yes, I'm very interested to get rid of these 3 icons on the left. I don't use them (appart from the system menu) and they are sooo big. What a waste of room when you don't use them...
Agreed, hopefully we can customise themes in the future.

Any news on this one?
I'd like to be able to reorganize the contents of the Internet and the Communication menus. How can I do that?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It's certainly *possible*. Hildon Desktop is open source and UME doesn't have the left-hand bar, instead using more of the titlebar for this kind of thing.

Exact details could be found either in the moblin mailing list archives, or by poking around in /usr/share and the Hildon Desktop source.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
gonna jump on this thread with a Q so not to open a new one... hwo do you get GPE to display on the home screen? When i tick it off it still doesnt appear

The Following User Says Thank You to Cptnodegard For This Useful Post: