Active Topics

So is this the one- the PIMP (Personal Internet Media Player) of my dreams? I was pretty disgusted with the styling of the N800 and this N810 is much better but still has "issues" I keep wondering if ver 3 is going to be what I really want. I decided to plunge in and get one but then Buy.com messed my order up and now from what I read there won't be any more available for 3 or 4 weeks. By that time CES will be here and perhaps the PIMP I need will show itself (or maybe at Macworld)
should I cancel my back-ordered N810 or hang in there and hope for an early xmas delivery? What I need is a great pocketable WIFI and Bluetooth intenet browser with media playback options.
what PO's me about the N810 is it really uses an old and slow ARM processing unit. Something like the new ARM Cortex design would be so much better and whats with no support for the onboard 3d graphics? I can't help but feel that some new better choices are about to be presented and I don't want to regret getting an 810.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Unless you are hooked on the idea of a keyboard, I would save a bunch and buy an N800 and a bt keyboard and a cheap gps unit. If you don't care about the money, wait for the CES -- for 2-4 times as much, as the N810 you might be able to get something better.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
IMO the real deal about the Nseries is the N800 (considering present prices for both devices); but if money is not a problem for you, by sure you will be able to find something better in the coming weeks...again, if money doesn't count. Not my case!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
... 3d graphics? For something meant to browse the web?

What are you playing the media from? Streaming from a server? Playing from websites (from a control or otherwise)? Locally? (You said internet so I doubt that's the case.)

Media isn't the greatest. It'll play stuff fine but won't do some formats. If that's your focus, maybe an Archos? From what I remember a buddy telling me, it's got wifi and you can get a web browser for it.

Yea, I'd suggest looking into something from Archos or Cowon. The 5" screen and 40/60GB HD on the Cowon A2 makes it a much better PMP. It's still quite small and a very capable device, also as an internet tablet, and even has Windows CE Office Viewer:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to bexley For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
What, no pimp jokes!? geesh. I'm so disappointed in you people.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Archos is the far superior media player, but from what I hear the web browser stinks. Then again, the N810's not all that great either. And the N810 is not a media powerhouse, especially since it lacks the ability to expand storage all that much - you'll not easily get the 20gb on it that is considered minimal among true PMPs.

I think if you're looking for an internet enabled PMP, there aren't that many quality choices that are going to be good at everything. There's the Archos and the Cowon and a few that haven't shown up yet, as far as I know.

Honestly for my money the best PIMP out there right now might be the PSP. It hasn't got the hi-res screen of some others, and it is limited in storage the same way that the N810 is. It's not a robust computing platform, and browsing on it kinda stinks, but it's loads cheaper (even than the N800) and can do more in the way of media out of the box. Plus it plays games. Just a thought.

Last edited by weatherman; 2007-12-12 at 15:41.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by wls View Post
...I don't want to regret getting an 810.
It sounds to me like you might want to wait for CES. I've got both the N800 and the N810 and neither is a perfect PIMP, by any stretch, but then I don't expect them to be.

The Nx is really a computer, and as such, it can serve as a media player and does so quite well, but if it's just vids and music you're looking for, Weatherman is right, the Archos products or the PSP are currently the best bets, IMHO. Based just on what I've seen posted here, there's a lot of neat devices that wil show on on the shelves come 08. Just not @ CompUsa

Edit: Couldn't think of a *decent* pimp joke, sorry

Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Archos is the far superior media player, but from what I hear the web browser stinks. Then again, the N810's not all that great either. And the N810 is not a media powerhouse, especially since it lacks the ability to expand storage all that much - you'll not easily get the 20gb on it that is considered minimal among true PMPs.

I think if you're looking for an internet enabled PMP, there aren't that many quality choices that are going to be good at everything. There's the Archos and the Cowon and a few that haven't shown up yet, as far as I know.

Honestly for my money the best PIMP out there right now might be the PSP. It hasn't got the hi-res screen of some others, and it is limited in storage the same way that the N810 is. It's not a robust computing platform, and browsing on it kinda stinks, but it's loads cheaper (even than the N800) and can do more in the way of media out of the box. Plus it plays games. Just a thought.
IMHO, the PSP is not the answer... I have one, love the games, but as far as playing media, it is lacking a bit...although isn't a bad compromise if you are looking for a multi-purpose device or have some budget constraints..

I own the 160Gb Archos 504.. Doesn't have the touchscreen or wifi, but it is THE best PMP I have ever used.. Battery life is enough that I can watch , at full brightness, two feature films and a portion of a third before I get 'nervous'... Sound and video quality is very good...

The Cowon stuff had my attention until I saw it was running Windows... had enough bad experiences with Windows Mobile devices to rule that one out immediately..

The new Archos Gen 5 stuff looks interesting enough for me to consider an upgrade...

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
... 3d graphics? For something meant to browse the web?

What are you playing the media from? Streaming from a server? Playing from websites (from a control or otherwise)? Locally? (You said internet so I doubt that's the case.)

Media isn't the greatest. It'll play stuff fine but won't do some formats. If that's your focus, maybe an Archos? From what I remember a buddy telling me, it's got wifi and you can get a web browser for it.
No but showing pictures or movies might benefit. It just bugs me that the hardware is there but not used. I want the next version to be faster and handle Java/AJAX.
Media playing is good but I want it to be a Internet tablet first so I think the archos and cowans are not going to do it.
The GPS seems more designed to make revenue then to be usefull out of the box
Nokia is so close but they need to upgrade the hardware and still keep it around $500
I want to be able to say that I spend my spare time chillin with my PIMP and say it proud!
Anyway I am going to wait till the end of the week and if the N810 has not shipped I will cancel and just wait till after CES

Last edited by wls; 2007-12-12 at 18:02.