i would like to copy the files from a sd card to my n810. i tried it with a usb card reader but it didn't work. is there a driver update or something to let it work? or do i have to buy a OTG-Bridge (http://www.memoryforless.co.uk/store...nt%3Dfirefox-a)?

Last edited by axxis272; 2007-12-11 at 22:21.

If it's not an SD card that you can put in the N810 (either to use it as a reader or to just use it directly) can you put it in the device it came from and use that as a reader?

For example my digital camera uses full size SD cards, so I can use it as an SD reader by plugging it into my computer.

If you don't have such a device, then you'll need a reader.

well, i would like to get the files onto the n810 without a computer. i will go on quite a long journey and it would be great to upload the photos to flickr. i have also tried to connect the camera to the n810 directly, but it didn't work either.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
If you enable the USB host mode on N810, and if you have suitable cable/adapter, you should be able to connect your camera directly to the N810 and read the files...

Search the forum (N800 USB host mode experiment) to get more information how to do this...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Vancouver, BC
Does dmesg provide anything interesting of note when you plug in the camera? What might also be happening is that the camera is not behaving like a mass storage device over usb and instead using PTP.

If you can verify that the camera is being connected, perhaps something like libptp can help:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=32213

Most cameras only seem to support the file download portion of ptp but it seems it's possible on some cameras to manipulate properties and even trigger the camera. (I was hoping my camera would allow time setting since I could of used the it set the sync datetimes from gps to camera for the exif stamps for later geotagging. Didn't... boohoo)

The Following User Says Thank You to aki For This Useful Post:
thanks for your hints! but i couldn't manage to get it to work (...lack of skill i guess). oh well, i might give the otg-bridge a shot.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Vancouver, BC
Good luck. I haven't gotten my hands on an n810 yet so I can't really try anything onhand.

One more suggestion though... neat thing about the micro/mini/SD cards is that they're pin compatible. It may be possible to hack something that will allow you to use a SD via the n810's miniSD slot with a dongle. There is a commercial solution out there, but I haven't managed to find a source for it in NAm... I've been considering a homebrew solution using wirewrap, a microsd to minisd converter and a sd breakout from sparkfun.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/02/07...gets-it-right/

The Following User Says Thank You to aki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by axxis272 View Post
well, i would like to get the files onto the n810 without a computer. i will go on quite a long journey and it would be great to upload the photos to flickr. i have also tried to connect the camera to the n810 directly, but it didn't work either.
For this situation what about buying a compatible micro-SD card (careful that your camera accepts it) with SD adapter.
Quick swap.
/edit - or microSD
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
that will allow you to use a SD via the n810's miniSD slot with a dongle
have a look here http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9393
they ship to NAm but unfortunately not to europe (i live in switzerland).

For this situation what about buying a compatible micro-SD card (careful that your camera accepts it) with SD adapter.
i've already bought the sd card. furthermore, there are no class6 micro/minisd cards availlable.

Originally Posted by axxis272 View Post
furthermore, there are no class6 micro/minisd cards availlable.
So what? For practical purposes Class4 is good enough and even Class2 will be mostly fine - Class6 might give you extra speed on large file writes from a USB attached computer, but beyond that, you won't notice any difference. Internal speed is barely beyond Class2 without tuning, and even on a fully tuned system most performance gains are hidden by the general system overhead on small file handling.