I have just encountered an apparent defect that seems, through my testing, to apply to all music media players available to the N800. (And it may indeed apply to all portable mp3 players. I don't know as I don't own an iPod or its equivalent.)

It concerns the ripping from a cd and playing of certain classical music. I have a number of classical music cd's in which the music is broken up into multiple separate tracks which do not necessarily correspond to separations inherent in the music itself. As an example, a symphony recording which has four movements, but 19 tracks (to enable locating specific interior sections).

When this cd is played on a cd player, there is no pausing in the playback between these tracks, unless they coincide with the ends and beginnings of the movements.

However, when converted to mp3 and played in any of the N800 media players, there is a significant pause between each of these 19 tracks. Very disconcerting!

Is this endemic to mp3 playback, or is there a solution? Help!

Last edited by ascherjim; 2007-12-08 at 17:41.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's not a glitch. The players just don't support gapless playback.

Problem solved. My wife showed me how to edit out the unwanted pauses using Audacity and Lame.

The Following User Says Thank You to ascherjim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It's not a glitch. The players just don't support gapless playback.
Zerojay: Belated discovery, for what it's worth. I loaded the same album on my old Dell Digital Jukebox mp3 player, and the pausing between tracks didn't occur. So it's apparently not a generic mp3 media player feature, but maybe just for N800 media players. (I don't have an iPod, so I don't know what happens there.)