Active Topics

So based on a suggestion fron Netflix, I decide to try out the new Battlestar Galactica series on DVD. I order the first set which is a four episode miniseries. And as I'm watching, I bust out my 770 to go to the web site for a little info on the back-story. I start to type into the Google search B-A T (I have my word complete set at 2 characters)- I get TLESTAR to finsh. Kind of surprising, but maybe it's a fairly common word, I thought. But here's where it gets good- I then type in G-A and I get - L-A-C-T-I-C-A!! No way that one is so commonly used. It had to be added to the dictionary by Nokia. Try it! Tooo funny.

Doesn't come up in t9 on my cell or spellchecker in Word.

Anyway, thought this might make someone else chuckle, as it did me. BTW, the new BSG, is really good if you like the genre.

Cheers all!

Last edited by heckler770; 2006-02-03 at 16:41.

Maybe because you've entered it so many times it saved it in the dictionary. I don't know how it determine what words to save but when I type in the first 2 character of my name it displays my whole name and last name run together because I use it frequently as email address and username. I know my name couldn't have been in the dictionary for sure.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Chicago, IL
I think the software keeps track of frequently used words. I've noticed the same behavior when typing words that I know wouldn't be in the dictionary. Great feature imo.

Have to agree, the new BG is quite good.

Originally Posted by NokNok770
Maybe because you've entered it so many times it saved it in the dictionary. I don't know how it determine what words to save but when I type in the first 2 character of my name it displays my whole name and last name run together because I use it frequently as email address and username. I know my name couldn't have been in the dictionary for sure.
Actually, I had never typed those words into the 770 before. That's why I found it funny. I did my Netflix order on the laptop.

I too have noticed how words get 're-suggested' during particular sessions in the web or email apps- which seem to reset when the window or app is shut down.

@ desktop:

I get inconsistent results with word completion. Sometimes typing "mi" will complete with my email address (as I intend it to do!), other times it completes to form "mikhail," without even giving the rest of my email address as a choice!

I've *never* entered mikhail.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Chicago, IL
That's interesting Heckler, that you'd never entered BG before. Perhaps the developers are fans. LOL!

I just tried it; either Battlestar Galactica is not in the default completion dictionary, or the completion dictionary retires words when they haven't been used in a while.

You probably typed it in somewhere and forgot.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yep, word completion learns. H-e-[dgecore]. Battlestar Galactica was absent... although B-A-[ckgroundprocessing] was... I must have tapped that given the lack of a space

hmm, I can't imagine when I would have had reason to type in Battlestar Galactica, lol. I never even knew it had been remade until I saw the recommendation on Netflix and wasn't a fan before. Must have been the Cylon sneaker agent in my house.... messing with my toys again....

Wierd...now, after powering down and restarting- G-A results in LLON, LAXY and LLERY, then on a second try LACTICA comes up too. If anything, this show some inconsistencies with word complete... I guess.

Oh well... it's losing it's novelty, but still makes me smile

Perhaps you cut and pasted BG into a search page or something.
The software would learn that just as if you typed it.