Active Topics

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Hello,

today I was thinking about doing a big change in the way I want to be reached on the go or reach people while I am on the go:

Right now I have the usual cellphone number + data plan for Internet access from the tablet/cellphone.
3 Italia has a very good deal right now: 19€ /month for 5Gb / month (over UMTS or HSDPA).
But it's a data plan ONLY. You can't make or receive calls on that SIM card (they give us a USB SIM modem with it).

My idea is to DROP my cellphone number and to make the switch to VoIP only ON THE GO.

With SIP/Skype/GIZMO on the tablet this has plenty of advantages:

a) I can be reachable on several numbers at the same time: sometimes not really a good thing :P
b) I can get landlines numbers: many people have good deals on landlines numbers and they can be called usually for free
c) I can get location numbers: an italian number, an US number, a UK number, you name it
d) I can make cheap or free calls everywhere in the world
e) I can have ADSL speeds on the go (HSDPA is currently at 1.8Mbps in Italy, but the modem 3 Italia gives you can go up to 7.2!! note: the speed is limited by the BT2.0 max rate: around 750kbit/s )
f) I get full Internet access
g) SIP / Skype / GIZMO clients are everywhere: the numbers follow you on your next device

What do you think ?

Last edited by anidel; 2007-11-30 at 07:28. Reason: link to blog

Ciao anidel,

I suppose it depends on how much you use your phone.

Some possible snags:
A. Latency. 3G connections give a lot of bandwidth, but they're not all super-responsive. Skype/In/Out is cheap, but I notice more latency that on a regular phone call (after all, it's an internet call plus a PSTN call). Combining those two (or even just the 3G part) could result in suboptimal performance.

B. Battery life. My phone (on which nobody calls me) goes 10 days between charges; I charge my n800 at least once a day. That's 2 hours of being plugged into the wall, during which I don't have autonomy. Can you sacrifice the mobility?

C. Size. The thing is cool, but it's a little too big for a phone; and you'd need to run a headset (Wired or BT) for practical calling.

D. Complexity. Your proposed telephone system is:
PSTN->Internet->Cell Network->BT Data Modem->N8x0->BT Headset
As opposed to
PSTN->Cell Network->Handset
Each step represents a point of failure, and each connection an axis of failure. You are replacing a 5-failure-point system with one that has 11. In terms of likelihood of failure, in the "handset" system, you're likely to lose your cellphone connection (move out of coverage, interference, trying to make a call after a soccer match featuring your home town) or your handset functionality (breaks, battery dies, gets stolen, left at home); for the proposed system, you've tripled the likely failure points.

So give it a shot, and let us know how it works!

First off, take what I say with a grain of salt, as I have not lived in Italy, but do get to northern Italy 4-5 times a year.

In my experience, open, wireless access is... far less than ubiquitous. If your primary access will be your own home router/AP, then yeah, I'd consider something like that.

If you're out and about, I would think one of the newer cellphone models with Wifi built in would be a better option. That way you still have your usual cell connectivity, yet can save some money using Wifi should you happen upon an open AP - again, very rare in my experience.

R.
==

Originally Posted by rickh View Post
First off, take what I say with a grain of salt, as I have not lived in Italy, but do get to northern Italy 4-5 times a year.

In my experience, open, wireless access is... far less than ubiquitous. If your primary access will be your own home router/AP, then yeah, I'd consider something like that.

If you're out and about, I would think one of the newer cellphone models with Wifi built in would be a better option. That way you still have your usual cell connectivity, yet can save some money using Wifi should you happen upon an open AP - again, very rare in my experience.

R.
==
But I won't need access to WiFi hotspots (that'd be just a plus).
I was planning to rely totally on the UMTS/HSDPA connection.
I was thinking about a always on connection thru the Three data plan (tethering the tablet to the bluetooth cellphone).

The only drawback is that if there is no Three signal, my cellphone number will continue to work as it roams over TIM with no additional cost. This does not hold for the data plan.

Originally Posted by DingerX View Post
Ciao anidel,

I suppose it depends on how much you use your phone.

Some possible snags:
A. Latency. 3G connections give a lot of bandwidth, but they're not all super-responsive. Skype/In/Out is cheap, but I notice more latency that on a regular phone call (after all, it's an internet call plus a PSTN call). Combining those two (or even just the 3G part) could result in suboptimal performance.

B. Battery life. My phone (on which nobody calls me) goes 10 days between charges; I charge my n800 at least once a day. That's 2 hours of being plugged into the wall, during which I don't have autonomy. Can you sacrifice the mobility?

C. Size. The thing is cool, but it's a little too big for a phone; and you'd need to run a headset (Wired or BT) for practical calling.

D. Complexity. Your proposed telephone system is:
PSTN->Internet->Cell Network->BT Data Modem->N8x0->BT Headset
As opposed to
PSTN->Cell Network->Handset
Each step represents a point of failure, and each connection an axis of failure. You are replacing a 5-failure-point system with one that has 11. In terms of likelihood of failure, in the "handset" system, you're likely to lose your cellphone connection (move out of coverage, interference, trying to make a call after a soccer match featuring your home town) or your handset functionality (breaks, battery dies, gets stolen, left at home); for the proposed system, you've tripled the likely failure points.

So give it a shot, and let us know how it works!
You are right in all of your points.
I was in fact thinking to give it a shot without sacrificing my cellphone number yet.
I only need to convince myself that a two year contract for the data plan is really worth it: that's why I am posting it here -> feedback.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
But I won't need access to WiFi hotspots (that'd be just a plus).
I was planning to rely totally on the UMTS/HSDPA connection.
I was thinking about a always on connection thru the Three data plan (tethering the tablet to the bluetooth cellphone).

The only drawback is that if there is no Three signal, my cellphone number will continue to work as it roams over TIM with no additional cost. This does not hold for the data plan.
In my tiredness I missed the UMTS bit. Sorry about that. Yeah, if you're carrying a cellphone capable of regular GSM roamimg, then sure, why not try it out?

R.
==

anidel, before you go in for a 2 year contract, make sure you read the fine print well. Some operators (well, the majority I guess), are either blocking VoIP, or mentioning it is not allowed in the contract.

Originally Posted by HiVoltage View Post
anidel, before you go in for a 2 year contract, make sure you read the fine print well. Some operators (well, the majority I guess), are either blocking VoIP, or mentioning it is not allowed in the contract.
Thanks for the hint. I am already a customer of this company and I use one of their data plans already. And I already use VOIP over UTMS with the limited data plan I have (50Mb a day).

Fortunately they did not put any limit on the Internet usage.

I keep thinking about the idea, I think I will investigate other providers options as well and then update the first post (and my blog) with my findings, people and my own comments on it.

Another drawback is that I "pay" even when receiving calls (even if that's cheaper for the caller and for me). Usually you don't pay for incoming calls at all in Italy.

I need a way to measure I much I can talk having a fixed amount of data.