Active Topics

Hi,

please follow this thread to see
there is a virus in maemo repositories, crashing N770
and making it unuseable,
as Application manager can't show any installed application,
can't uninstall any application and can't load/update new packages from repositories to be installed.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=10549

If you know a solution please let me know.
I have followed suggestions and solutions presented in the thread by third parties but nothing cured my N770.

Cache size change , as suggested, makes N770 to run very, very slow
and any increase makes graphical interface at N770 completely out.

Thanks.

Darius

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
Where is your proof that there is a virus? I had an experience with my 770 running OS06 that did the same thing as yours, but I caused it. I suspect you ran "apt-get upgrade" in there some where, if this is run on any 770 your have FUBAR your tablet. I just suggest reflash, and since you can only install one thing at a time your should know what you did to kill it.
For reference some one breaking their Linux is not a bad thing, it is learning, just don't blame messing up on a virus.
And what is with making a thread that links to your other thread in the same forum...
Not trying to be mean.

Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
Where is your proof that there is a virus? I had an experience with my 770 running OS06 that did the same thing as yours, but I caused it. I suspect you ran "apt-get upgrade" in there some where, if this is run on any 770 your have FUBAR your tablet. I just suggest reflash, and since you can only install one thing at a time your should know what you did to kill it.
For reference some one breaking their Linux is not a bad thing, it is learning, just don't blame messing up on a virus.
And what is with making a thread that links to your other thread in the same forum...
Not trying to be mean.
My dear friend,
FUBAR is FUBAR

If you aware of any package for N770 from public maemo repositories, crashing Nokia 770, just please let me know to take immediate action to remove it from public respositories and contact its author/developer.

Frankly speaking , reflashing is not a good a solution.
Finding the cause is the solution.

Installing maemo packages I don't expect to download and install
virus-like acting packages.
Any such package should be removed from public access.
The same should work for Nokia 800, Nokia 810, as a security standard.

As I have installed some packages/applications in a row,
just tell me how to find out, which was the last, making the crash,
basing on installation date in file system.
Unfortunately some downloaded and installed generated no icon.

Thanks for your kind suggestions, but especially on Maemo Nokia 770, Nokia 800, Nokia 810 running Linux/Debian, there should be worked out security mechanizm to remove virus-like packages/applications,
crashing N'series.

Darius

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
My friend, not mean-just concerned about the integrity of information I find here.

I rely on this forum. I hate rumors. They are so dang counterproductive and usually result in a whole lot of time suckage.

The title of your thread is the start of a nasty rumor and unless you can provide proof, it is worthless.

BTW, agreed. Finding the cause is the solution. What was the last program that you installed? What programs do you have installed?

Also BTW, these are questions that you should ask yourself before condemning the whole lot. Based on the knee jerk conclusion your title suggests. I would suspect the validity of the answers and am inclined not to invest any time in a "solution" for you.

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-10-17 at 21:29.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Virus????

No.

My 770 ran out of memory when I installed too many apps and I was pissed, but I knew it wasn't a virus. It happened to lots of 770s. This was the achilles heel of the 770: 128MB of storage. The real solution is to buy a 1GB or 2GB MMCm card and copy the OS over so that you can boot from the card.

Hi,

it took me 2 weeks to wait, not reflashing my crashed Nokia
to find out, what package install from maemo.org crashes Nokia

was:
Package: osso-filemanager-ui
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 212
Maintainer: Ouyang Qi <qi.ouyang@nokia.com>
Architecture: armel
Source: osso-filemanager
Version: 2006.29.1

updated to:

Package: osso-filemanager-ui
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Installed-Size: 212
Maintainer: Ouyang Qi <qi.ouyang@nokia.com>
Architecture: armel
Source: osso-filemanager
Version: 2006.29.1-ŔĘ
^^^^^

So it is really urgently required to have distributed packages both as .deb and install for security reasons.

Suggested solution to not look for a real reason of File manager crashing but to start with maemo reflashing immediately is not good.

I called the above Nokia maemo virus and maintain it.

Darius

The Following User Says Thank You to Darius2006 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm almost certain it's an old package that you weren't supposed to install and definitely not a virus.

Ugh.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
"You get Moose... I get Squirrel. It's simple plan, Natasha."
-Boris Badenofe

Why do you insist on calling this a virus?

A virus indicates it spreads to other programs or systems on the machine AND it infects other machines it comes in contact with.

Also; why is this in an N810 titled thread?

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-11-15 at 22:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
"You get Moose... I get Squirrel. It's simple plan, Natasha."
-Boris Badenofe

Why do you insist on calling this a virus?

A virus indicates it spreads to other programs or systems on the machine AND it infects other machines it comes in contact with.

Also; why is this in an N810 titled thread?
I am subscribed to maemo-developers list
and maemo-org administrators and maemo project manager nominated by Nokia insist on removing .deb packages, replaying them by direct on-line install procedure.

Calling it a virus is the right name as it spreads from respositories server to a computer of a user. It can spread to many computers crashing many Nokia devices.
No procedure is known to me yet to protect Nokia tablets against crashing by live on-line package installation.
My intention is to request Nokia to let tablet users to access and download .deb packages to memory card and have it/them than installed keeping package source still available against any subsequent check procedure.
As long as maemo packages are and kept under development there is a good practice to have all .deb packages open to verification procedure.
Frankly speaking, I don't prefer automated package updates, loosing control over what I install or is installed on a Nokia tablet
and what can or can't crash it.

There is a number of developers seeing no problem in the above procedure, keen to reflash it over and over again.
But there is still a number of end users showing interest in read-made hardware product for intended use not beta testing.

Buying N95 cell phone or iPod touch I expect to use it immediately and without any problems and expect software installation procedure not to crash any of the both.

Nokia tablet is an excellent product for developers.
Unfortunately is not a read-made final market product as long as a package can crash it making it not unusable.

Ok. I am aware Nokia tablet is a compilation of commercial hardware and open source software applications.
Ok.
But I would expect Nokia to provide customers with the same level of quality service provided by Apple to users of iPod touch.

Especially in Europe, some customers pay a lot of money for a new Nokia tablet, almost as much as a new laptop costs in US.

As no support is provided to Nokia tablet customers by Nokia
I would expect Nokia to sell Nokia tablets in Europe at the same price, Nokia tablet is offered on US market.

I risk my every minute using Nokia tablet, a new update to repositories can crash it and make it useless for my intended use , car navigation or some other use.

As no support is provided by a manufacturer, a user should be given the same rights and privileges any other beta tester deserves.

As maemo.org is already a part of Nokia I would like to have one full-time well-paid officer in charge of maemo.org,
providing on-line support, Q&A support, FAQ support to Nokia tablet customers.

I am really afraid, Nokia has lost control over Nokia tablet project, over repositories, making Nokia tablet a lower-quality product vs. iPod touch by Apple.

So calling respositories update procedure , crashing Nokia tablet as a above described, a virus,
I am calling it virus as it really crashes my Nokia tablet and no support, on-line support, no remedy is provided by Nokia at maemo.org
or has been provided by maemo developers list.

Darius