Active Topics

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Anyone else using Verizon FIOS as your internet service? Do the weekly ads from retailers such as
www.bestbuy.com
www.circuitcity.com
www.cvs.com
www.staples.com
work for you?

(and I suspect most others too...)

It doesn't matter if I try to access these sites from Windows XP, Windows Vista or N800... they web pages just don't open. I even tried with the Verizon provided original D-link router with only one computer connected to it, but still the same problem. If I log into my neighbour WiFi with my N800, these sites work fine on the N800. (If I log into my home network with N800, the sites do not work.)

Any other "regular" web sites work fine with any of my computers... so it is only these specific weekly ad sites!

This has been the problem since last weekend, at least. In addition an IP web camera in my house can no longer be accessed outside my local network...

What I think Verizon has changed something in their network... anyone know what?

(At the moment I'm on hold with Verizon customer service... been already like 45 minutes... )

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Comcast for me would do that at times... It would only connect to IP's in my hosts file.... In those cases they had DNS go down.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Comcast for me would do that at times... It would only connect to IP's in my hosts file.... In those cases they had DNS go down.
This could have been the problem... but if I ping the ad web sites from command prompt it resolves the IP address and I do get reply to ping just fine.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have fios, havenät seen that problem...

Have you called the help center? That sort of specific problem is not something that is in VZ's best interest, so either something is wrong on your end (and they can tell you) or something is wrong on their end, and they would be highly motivated to fix it.

Good luck. Consider PM'ing me if you can't get it fixed. I have no clout beyond what you have, but I may be able to figure out the right number for you to call.

Thanks for your replies. Verizon tech support called yesterday and could verify the problem. (They logged into my computer remotely, and could see that by themself.) They looked my router settings etc... and didn't see anything wrong with it. They are investigating what could be the cause.

Today I tried these same links and now they work.

Hopefully this is not just temporary...

The fix was just temporary: Now this Sunday I'm having exactly the same problem!

I tried BestBuy, Circuitcity, Staples and CVS weekly (Sunday) ad links and none of them work!!!

Kind of looks like Verizon is having some sort of page cache, which does not get refreshed until about a day later?

Anyone with FIOS, please report your mileage?

This is getting very strange... This time N800 can access these sites without problems, while my Windows XP (with Internet Explorer and Opera) can not. Also the second computer with Windows Vista can not access these either!!!

It kind of looks like a Windows problem in general? Maybe I need to try to clear Windows page cache and cookies to see if that helps...

UPDATE: After I disconnected and reconnected to the router with N800 it can no longer access these ad sites. As a last resort I upgraded my router firmware (Linksys WRT54GS) to the latest to see if that helps... but no difference...

Anyone... any good ideas?

Last edited by Mara; 2007-11-18 at 17:51.

Just an update that this problem is consistent: Every Sunday if I want to check these ads I need to borrow neighbours WiFi... Verizon just do not work!

Seriously, nobody else with FiOS having these problems???