I'm wondering who's excited about the N810 and who is getting one on the first day it is released? Also, how do you intend to you use it?

I am pumped up for it..I use my 800 non stop.
I will use this for Internet --GPS--Email--Chat--Rhapsody. I am a power Emailer so the keyboard is a welcome site.

I am really hoping I can use GOTO My PC on the new browser to be more efficient with work.

I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up once it's released. I'm just concerned about whether or not I'll be able to figure this whole pidgin thing out, because I'll be using it for mainly MSN and web browsing. I'll be buying it regardless. just hope I can install that app. I know nothing about linux.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Already got mine. Using it for all the old stuff (corporate email, IM messaging, games, browsing) in adidtion to (yay!) gps!

Oh, and kingka: check zerojay's Jabber thread.

dunno... I use my N800 a lot but I don't think I can spare the extra 500 just to get a keyboard and gps. (and lose SD slots). I might have to leapfrog this one.
Looking forward to OS2008 though

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I'm like Alvin.

It's taken me a while to get to the stage where my N800 is indispensible.

OS2008 will do me for the moment.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Besides Nokia Flagship Nokia stores, anywhere else I can go and play with one? I noticed Microcenter is opening up a brick & mortar store in Rockville, MD which is within driving distance and they've advertised they're carrying nokia products in a flyer I got. I wonder if they'll have any on display. Most of the CompUSA's in my area have closed down.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'm VERY excited to get my hands on an N810. As soon as I can afford the unit, I'm going to buy it. Hopefully, it's on the first day

I'm going to use it for nearly _everything_.

1) It's going to be a companion while I'm on the computer. Having access to reference materials for programming (APIs, code snips, etc) will be very useful while I'm developing.

2) I'm going to use it to transfer sensitive information that I'd prefer to keep off of the network (or cloud, if you prefer).

3) As an ebook reader. I enjoy reading off of a screen. I've gotten more than accustomed to it with the computer. The N810 means that I'll be able to read in bed, on a plane, etc.

4) As an audio player. Not while I'm jogging, but certainly while I'm traveling about. I have very eclectic musical tastes (but quality), and also enjoy listening to audio-books and other things. This will be a HUGE feature for me.

5) As a video player. I like watching video and often am not sitting in front of the computer/tv.

6) As a temporary personal information storage device. Phone numbers, email addresses, etc. will be stored on this device before moving online.

7) For surfing the internet. What can I say, I love the net!

8) As a phone. I use SIP almost exclusively. It's cheap and the quality is great. Although wifi isn't *everywhere*, the ability to take my home phone with me to the cafe, or a mates house is a big deal. Especially since as more people I know adopt SIP, it costs less and less.

9) To develop on. Being able to sketch, or take notes when planning an implementation is a HUGE part of my programming (far larger than the coding step). This would allow me to be productive away from the computer.

10) To develop for. I think developing for the N810 would be fun.

11) As a MAP. GPS is a fantastic bonus, though all I need is a map to find my way. I often travel to new places, and a digital map would be an indispensable feature. It beats the paper kind as well as plotting a course before I leave.

12) To email. I'm not big on the IMs, but I email constantly. The ability to send/receive emails is a big deal for me, especially on the road.

13) Video conference. Honestly, I can only see myself using this for my girlfriend, and possibly business partner, but it's a cool feature. I'd likely use the N810 as a companion to the computer for this feature as well.

14) A redundant node. This is useful for diagnosing my lan, or if I'm experiencing computer troubles.

15) As a clock. When I carried my phone, I used it as a clock when I wasn't wearing a watch. The N810 will fill this role.

16) Writing. I like to write on the computer, and composing in the park or a cafe sounds far better than at my desk.

17) As an organizer. I fully expect the N810 to access my online calendar and todo list, so that I stay organized.

I see the N810 becoming a large part of everything that I do. I've been waiting for a portable convergence device for a LONG time, and the Tablets are the first devices that really achieve this.

I'm definitely excited to get one!

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

Definitely. I've been hoping for a keyboard for a long time.

IM will be easier, as will email.

Typing in the terminal will be easier as will be using vi (I hope the escape key is bound to something!)

And finally I'll be able to use gnumeric without cursing everytime the on-screen keyboard pops up and obscures 90% of the data I was looking at

I'm also looking forward to some location aware apps with the built in GPS - I always used to forget to bring my BT GPS unless I was travelling somewhere in the car and needed to use Maemo mapper.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I got paid today. I have the cash. When does it go on sale!? WHEN!!!!??? *twitch*

:-)

I plan to use it as a portable portal to my network communications. chat, ssh, rss, web stuff. Some email, but not a lot (the webmail I use is a little too unwieldy for the tiny browser window, the included IMAP client is completely insufficient, and clawsmail is a little unwieldy on the small screen as well).

I'm also going to get a skype account this month, to see how I like using the N800 as my voip phone. Not sure about rhapsody yet (I don't like the interface very much, and it doesn't seem to like running on my Mac either).

Oh, and, having the keyboard will, I hope, make using xterm/ssh and/or vnc more comfortable. Probably will help with chat too, but I'm actually ok on using the full screen keyboard for that.