Active Topics

I don't see many websites comparing archos with the n800.

I think it comes down to personal use? But here are some things I saw from the archos 605 compared to the n800.

n800 -- cannot hook up to the tv, hard but not impossible to browse youtube.

archos 605 -- hooks up to the tv.. can browse youtube easily

even @ tabletblog.com he neglects the archos 605 and all archos products.

I am not trying to boost the archos 605 as I am a n800 user and like it, I just want to know if it might be better or maybe even beat the nokia n series in the future with the release of the archos 705 with 160gb.

You can compare the Archos 605 with the n800, but it costs $50 extra to do so.

Originally Posted by DingerX View Post
You can compare the Archos 605 with the n800, but it costs $50 extra to do so.
haha that is a good point.. + $30 for web browsing. however, $80 might be worth it!

Now, Of course I could do a google search, but I would like some real life exerpeince and maybe a good website that gets down to the nitty gritty of both programs.

thanks again

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
im not a fan of Archos, but a buddy of mine is a huge fan. check this forum for Archos enthusiasts.
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopi...os++nokia+n800

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
I've heard the cowon a2 is better than archos 604(non-wifi) as a PMP. Archos cannot do voip(skype, gizmo) plus you can develop for the maemo platform(endless possibilities)-doesn't mean internet tablets are better or comparable. Two different devices. ARCHOS=PMP N800=Internet Tablet. You can record tv with pmp's, doesn't mean its better than internet tablet or comparable. end of story. i thought we've been down this road already with these comparisons ie. iphone, itouch.

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
I've heard the cowon a2 is better than archos 604(non-wifi) as a PMP. Archos cannot do voip(skype, gizmo) plus you can develop for the maemo platform(endless possibilities)-doesn't mean internet tablets are better or comparable. Two different devices. ARCHOS=PMP N800=Internet Tablet. You can record tv with pmp's, doesn't mean its better than internet tablet or comparable. end of story. i thought we've been down this road already with these comparisons ie. iphone, itouch.
well to me, the iphone, itouch are making internet tablets and PMP popular. the n800 and archos are not really that popular, I bet you can ask 100 people you see on the street and 2 might know what n800 or an archos is.

so my point was just what you said about archos not being good for wifi, I thought it was though. maybe processor/screen res? I don't know, never looked up the specs.

and I was wondering why thoughtfix would not mention it on his site.

this thread was basically to get n800/archos users thoughts about the archos, this being a n800 forum so if I hear someone saying the archos is better because... I might listen. you know what i mean?

ferjant, thanks for the link, that is what I was looking for.

thanks though

Last edited by HandyG; 2007-10-24 at 02:27.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Really, the question is, does the Archos have SSH?

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Not for lack of trying. I've contacted Archos PR three times and they ignore me.
If someone is in the Phoenix area, can I borrow one?

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Not for lack of trying. I've contacted Archos PR three times and they ignore me.
If someone is in the Phoenix area, can I borrow one?
hey its the man. the guy who got me to buy the n800. I mean your site is great about giving tips about n800 and I have no doubt you raise their sales to people who are browsing around for an internet tablet and come across your website.

You should try to get the archos 705. see what is up. for now, I am not going to move from my n800 until something really good comes out in like another 2 years.

I dislike the archos product. I think its poorly designed, with a poor screen.

Built in File Manager: the file manager performs wonderfully, as it offers two side by side windows for copying. easy to delete and rename folders. i got giddy the first time i use it.

Lots of codecs: most everything i have plays on it. Divx/Xvid support is awesome. No AC3 without buying a module if i believe.

"Browse by Hard Drive": since it doesnt know how to show me album artists only (shows track artists instead), this is a god send. does not take advantage of folder thumbs I so painstakingly placed.

Cool video thumbnails: it has animated video clips for thumbnails. Cool.

PLAYS YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!!: YEY!!!

NO DRIVERS: NEVER!! PRUG AND PRAY!!! nice!

WiFi networking: can play files off the network. can put the player into server mode also (so u can stream from it).

Downsides:

Music player: I absolutely hate the music player. I couldnt tell you how to play 'shuffle all' for the life of me. When you play a song, it opens a new tab. You then have to click between tabs to go to song lists and 'now playing'.

Duplicate keys: all hardware keys are represented in touch also. Dumb.

Hardware keys: could they have tried to make a more absurd control scheme.

Battery life: turn on the wifi, turn on the battery drain.

Wont ever charge completely: comes with a USB cable, will never charge completely.

Wifi has to start every single time I bring up the browser: yep.

No stylus holder: but the stand looks like a stylus...im confused.

Finicky web video support: doesnt want to play all streams all the time.

No 'Browse by album' art: never seems to use album art when appropriate.

No Screen Saver/Visualizations: hate that!

Limited power options: no option to keep 'screen on' all the time.

Gets hot: yep.

Its a stupid device. No other way to put it. Many people complain of hearing audio noises with wifi enabled. My Creative Zen Vision W put the screen to shame (too bad the creatize had horrific softwares also). Kudos to awesome Youtube support, no drivers, and network playing.

Last edited by Garage Battle; 2007-10-24 at 05:07.