Active Topics

I've searched the internets and the forum on this, nothing has help to this point.

I'm able to get rdesktop installed on the 770. Set up my XP machine for Remote Desktop. Tried both the I.P for my router and for my XP machine. Used my current user account and have tried making another one.

Tried port forwarding on my router, still nothing. Re-booted both 770 and my laptop with no help either. I'm at a loss.

I know that if rdesktop shuts down immediately, then something is not setup correctly. Well sometimes it does, and sometimes it sits at a blank white screen.

Helps!

1. Make a new account on the xp machine
2. click start>run> type "cmd"> type "ipconfig"
3. Use that ip + the new username and password you made on the 770
4. remote desktop goodness.
*hint you need more then 1 account on the xp machine to make it work

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried that already and still had no success. I've made sure to enable remote desktop in System Properties, and even checked that the service was turned on and running. Firewall is setup to acccept it.

Has to be something simple and stupid

Are you testing this when you are already logged on to the windows pc. Only one person with the same user id can be logged in at a time. IF you don't you get the results you indicated. I would suggest setting up a user id just for your Nokia 770 to get in. This way it will not interfere with anyone else who is on the PC at the time.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I need more info.

Not all XP are rdesktop server capable, only Vista/XP pro/Mediacenter are capable. On PC desktop, right click MyComputer>properties>Remote, if you only see "allow connect for remote assistence...." then the PC is NOT rdesktop server capable. Say you pass this point and the PC is rdesktop capable, I would suggest you try the easiest first, then slowly move up. Hope you have a laptop, I would try setup remote desktop as server from your desktop PC, remote desktop from your laptop into the desktop using home network ip first, i.e. 192.168.1.X. Once that worked, then using the same setup to setup your 770. and again, once it worked then advance to portforwarding, static ip and remote over inet. BTW, when rdesktop over homenetwork, you do not need portforward. And since you talking about portforward, you do know your ip may change upon reboot if you are using a dynamic ip add. Post back with more info. We will help to make it work

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-10-21 at 21:10.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by martyagt4 View Post
I know that if rdesktop shuts down immediately, then something is not setup correctly. Well sometimes it does, and sometimes it sits at a blank white screen.
I'm running into the same problem. If I enter duff info then rdesktop shuts down but if I enter the correct info it just hangs indefinitely on a white screen.

I've rdesktop set up following guides such as this and it's previously worked perfectly for me.

However I've recently flashed to the latest OS2007HE (Version 4.2007.46-3) and noticed that rdesktop just doesn't want to work.

The PC I'm trying to connect to runs XP Pro and has Remote Desktop enabled and I've set up a second account with a password and also opened port 3389 through my DSL modem.

I've installed Rdesktop version 0.4 and entered in the correct login details i.e. IP address of my router, XP login name and password and workgroup of the PC. The result is a white screen when I press ok which just hangs indefinitely and I eventually kill it off via xterm.

Does anyone have rdesktop working on OS2007HE (Version 4.2007.46-3)?

Rdesktop previously worked fine for me but I *think* I was running OS2006 when that was the case.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Thankds Bundyo, I tried rdesk last night and got the same result as I had previously - a white screen which had to be killed off in xterm .

However the problem has been resolved.
I needed to reset my DSL router this morning and when I tried rdesktop after that it worked . I guess the problem lay with the router rather than rdesktop, the 770, or my PC.

When I reset the router it defaults back to factory settings and I have to change the wireless encryption to WPA-PSK (because it defaults to WEP) and enable Static NAT. This is the same set-up I would have had prior to resetting the router so I'm still confused as to what causes the issue .

Anyway after resetting it rdesktop worked so presumably the router was causing the problem as it was the only thing that I changed between last night and today.

doesnt rdesktop suck/useless without a bluetooth keyboard ? how can u log in without having a bluetooth keyboard paired?

Originally Posted by loaderr View Post
doesnt rdesktop suck/useless without a bluetooth keyboard ? how can u log in without having a bluetooth keyboard paired?
There's virtual keyboards that should work.

I use matchbox-keyboard for non hildon apps.