Active Topics

Hi,

i got my N770 in hope to leave Palm Zire 72.

i want to use it for book reading as i did Zire 72.But i am disappointed

by the pdf viewer,

1.which is very slow and takes alot of time to go to the next page.

2.i cannot custom Zoom in/out as in the windows version, its always 100% or 150 or 200.

3.i cannot rotate pictures?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Try downloading eVince, another document viewer from the Software section. I found the performance better than the packaged PDF reader and I know it features more document manipulation option.

Out of curiosity, PDFs are bloated to begin with. Has anyone with experience on other handhelds had a PDF program that was 'fast'? I loaded up a 280KB subway map and wasn't impressed with how the machine choked until I thought about it... 280KB. That's huge.

Would having a swap partition help with pdf performance?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would assume it would help to some degree... But to compare apples and apples (as closely as possible) try opening the PDF on a 220mhz desktop with 64MB of RAM. Maybe now we're not being so reasonable

I have a nokia 9290 with pdf reader on there...let me tell you, it's faster than the one on the 770. I just think that this program isn't utilizing the full power of the 770 to render these pages. Tonight I'm going to dig out my 9290. Load up with the same pdf document and time it to see how fast it is. I think the pdf reader is the most disappointing of the 770 apps.

The next would be the clock, I mean you can't even set alarms on the clock that is kind of sad, it's not like the 770 doesn't have a speaker.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
It might be -- like just about everything else in the Nokia 770 platform -- down to a poor choice of software.

Compare e.g. loading and reading speed of Acrobat's reader with -- oh, say: Foxit Reader: Night and day, anyone?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Foxit Reader is MUCH faster in starting up, and a little bit faster in loading pages, probably because the render quality is lower.

Live via 770 tapping:

NokNok -- any update yet?

i agree noknok770

pdf opens quite well on my palm zire 72.

i thought when seeing the n770 for the first time that it would be perfect reading device
but i was wrong ...but i have still hope good with future software updates.

Actually i want to read "urdu" books on my N770 which are basically images converted to pdf .So the hole purpose of buying N770 is lost if i cant read i cant read on n770.

can the slowness of pdf viewer fixed in software updates?

i was going to buy Advueu http://www.advueu.com/003/productitem.php?id=51
but i changed my decision in the last minute and bought N770 because of nokia brand name.
i am afraid i have to except that i made a wrong decision.
please dont hate for saying this.