N800 is ok, but not marvelous. Here's the reason:

Firstably some bunch of *****s keep sending me .rar and .zip packed attachments via email. I did not find a gui solution to open them both.

Second one is a video issue. I didn't find a solution on how to play h.264 encoded video. My psp does it, my iPod does it. But ... I really really don't want to lug my PSP with me just for video, and the iPod screen... not very usable, is it?

I was thinking on selling the N800 and getting a iPod touch, just for the missing video cababilities. As my mac records tv shows (and encodes them in h.264 format) I really need my devices to support it.

So do I really need to get the touch? or is there an solution, so I can keep my N800

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Re-encoding to DivX (which the N800 plays suitably well) is probably your best bet.

mplayer could be optimised to better handle h.264, but I don't think it's a priority.

Well that just sucks. I don't want to encode everything again. Also how about the zip and rar support?

Originally Posted by Jupex View Post
Well that just sucks. I don't want to encode everything again. Also how about the zip and rar support?
No GUI, but command line is available for both zip and rar.

R.
==

Originally Posted by Jupex View Post
I was thinking on selling the N800 and getting a iPod touch, just for the missing video cababilities. As my mac records tv shows (and encodes them in h.264 format) I really need my devices to support it.
Your n800 is not missing video capabilities, your mac lacks output capabilities

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I'm not sure about .rar files, but this will allow you to double-tap on files from the File Manager and unzip them:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/zip-unzip/

Tim

You're in luck, don't get rid of your N800 just yet. I've been working on a simple media transcoding solution, that works with Linux, BSD and OS X. It's quite workable and is quite easy to setup. It's not quite release quality, but if you want to test it, drop by at #maemo on freenode and look me up. My nick is solmumaha.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
You're in luck, don't get rid of your N800 just yet. I've been working on a simple media transcoding solution, that works with Linux, BSD and OS X. It's quite workable and is quite easy to setup. It's not quite release quality, but if you want to test it, drop by at #maemo on freenode and look me up. My nick is solmumaha.
And it rocks. Big-time.

In reply to original poster; have you installed mplayer? It is the Alpha and Omega.

As for .zip or .rar attachments, I'll agree that handling such attachments should be a core feature of an 'Internet Tablet'! But i'm curious also - what are they packing? Video makes no sense to compress into zip/rar. If they are ms-docs there's not much point in unpacking them on the Tablet, not to mention windows executables.

Nokia - and by extension the Maemo community's 'window of opportunity' to capitalize on the revolutionary hardware+OS combination may be drawing to a close.

As the OP's problem illustrates: the community hasn't filled-in all the gaping functionality holes in the target application domain (with integrated solutions - not standalone/command-line apps).

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-09-28 at 00:15. Reason: typos, wordiness

Use iSquint v1.2 for converting all most any video in ipod friendly format.The file results to be compatible with n800 and any nokia device.It's the best quality!No other software for Mac OSX will get this video quality.The data rate is not very high ,but the video shines.Just try it!

This zip and unzip apps for Maemo. Look in the download garage