Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Better than on iOS but still far from great (better on tablets). Sailfish is better but some apps are portarit only. On android also. The only phone with proper landscape was N900. Where people complained about the lack of portrait support.
At least the default Launcher on Moto Z supports landscape. And most service I'm using supports landscape (well for typing at least) But Android landscape layout needs to be improved, some useless banners/element just too big.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2017 @ France
Hi there,
First congrats to chenliangchen !

For the porting question, actually it seems Moto Z play has a partially working cm13: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...4/post69504998

Google Location Provider seem to be the issue, but I assume sailfish does not need that !

Great device !

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
I had a bit of a further look into the porting side of things, it seems it only has a partially working cm-14 port, which we don't support yet (up to cm-13).

More crucially, the Moto Mods part of the device isn't working under Cyanogen but I guess middleware will have to be created for Sailfish anyway.

As for how to approach it? jump into the #sailfishos-porters channel and talk to us, maybe someone wants to do it, maybe someone really wants a keyboarded device too and is willing to work to make it happen? who knows its up to those individuals as to how they spend their time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dvogel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dvogel View Post
Hi there,
First congrats to chenliangchen !

For the porting question, actually it seems Moto Z play has a partially working cm13: https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...4/post69504998

Google Location Provider seem to be the issue, but I assume sailfish does not need that !

Great device !
The other challenge will be to transfer the Moto Mods platform across OS... At lease for the keyboard!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Suggestion : compare the size of Nokia N900 keyboard x Keyboard Mod for Moto Z. If possible with numbers and also 2 superposed figures.

As many users here loved the Nokia N900 keyboard, so it is a reference for us.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Transylvania
First off I'd like to say congratulations on the launch chenliangchen! I've already backed the product and so have many people I know. Alot of people are getting excited over this in the forums and irc communities I frequent . I have some suggestions though if its not too late to add them to the IGG:
I think it'd be nice to add some kind of lower priced stickers perk so that people who are not interested in the Moto Z/Play devices can have something so they can support the cause and let the industry know that we are here, and we want physical keyboards. Shirts or even small accessories would be ever better but I don't want to take away too much time from your focus on the keyboard itself. I think its a good marketing idea and it will help meet your goal because its quite ambitious.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valkyr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Valkyr View Post
First off I'd like to say congratulations on the launch chenliangchen! I've already backed the product and so have many people I know. Alot of people are getting excited over this in the forums and irc communities I frequent . I have some suggestions though if its not too late to add them to the IGG:
I think it'd be nice to add some kind of lower priced stickers perk so that people who are not interested in the Moto Z/Play devices can have something so they can support the cause and let the industry know that we are here, and we want physical keyboards. Shirts or even small accessories would be ever better but I don't want to take away too much time from your focus on the keyboard itself. I think its a good marketing idea and it will help meet your goal because its quite ambitious.
Thank you for your support and suggestions! Really hope this can be successful and the manufacturer in China will have more confident designing/making an all in one slider phone. This is still the eventual goal!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Remember this is a 5.5 inch... The keys are very big compared with old sliders.
I now think that the space between the keys is enough. Now I looked more closely at the form of the keys. It can be seen in the pictures of the campaign that you chose a "curvy surface", the keys are "curvy comfort keys".
I tried a lot of small keyboards (Psion 5mx, HP 100lx, N900, some small bluetooth keyboards). The best form in my opinion is a flat key, or even slightly curved concave (like the Psion 5MX). Maybe you can rethink this design? It might even make the device a bit thinner.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The other challenge will be to transfer the Moto Mods platform across OS... At lease for the keyboard!
Not sure if you can share the details at this stage, but if you do, how keyboard connection is implemented in hardware and software for Android? TOHKBD has a daemon which connects to userspace-exposed I2C and GPIO interfaces, reads the keys and in turn creates userspace input device. If it's something similar, the daemon code could be mostly reused.

I would like to try porting SailfishOS, but Moto Z is far from the budget device, unfortunately.

Edit: Found https://developer.motorola.com/explore/firmware. The SailfishOS software will probably need to talk to "Greybus" interface then, unless keyboard is exposed as proper HID device by kernel.

Last edited by TheKit; 2017-03-04 at 11:33.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Congrats and good luck on this awesome project!

Would love to have one of these! (if I had the money )

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
*snip* I would like to try porting SailfishOS, but Moto Z is far from the budget device, unfortunately.
If livermorium succeeds, i will buy more than one Moto Z, promised

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love