Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
You might have heard about some dark **** in space. Now its called baryons.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...finally-found/

Now we just have to use it to find aliens.
No... that's what we can't see
What they mean is the second half of matter that is missing.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by napaDokc View Post
No... that's what we can't see
What they mean is the second half of matter that is missing.
The alien part? The black matter? What part are you talking about?

Two separate teams found the missing matter – made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter – linking galaxies together through filaments of hot, diffuse gas.

Now I'm confused. What happend with the dark matter then?

So before we could see half the ****, now you telling me we can see 3/4? 75%?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-10-09 at 21:36.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally, I think dark matter was matter that could not be observed, yet was responsibe for the structure and behavior of galaxys and other stuff out there. For example a rotating galaxy needed more matter than that observed to create a gravitational pull to keep it from flying apart. Then there is dark energy, which is responsible for the rapid expansion of the universe. Not sure if astrophysicist have figured that out yet...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think Dave got it backwards...
"baryons" is the part we can see, all your normal everyday matter is made of baryons...

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
"baryons" is the part we can see, all your normal everyday matter is made of baryons...
and don't forget leptons...
that's electrons and ****
Baryons just have three quarks.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That could indeed be the case.

But it seem no one knows what happen here

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Originally, I think dark matter was matter that could not be observed, yet was responsibe for the structure and behavior of galaxys and other stuff out there.
That's exactly it.

I have a teeeny-tiny issue with the "cannot be observed" part. We have not figured out what it is yet, but "cannot be observed" is often interpreted as "it is impossible to observe it, now or ever".

It's a bit like an ancient Greek claiming that we will never know what a lightning is made from.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That's exactly it.

I have a teeeny-tiny issue with the "cannot be observed" part. We have not figured out what it is yet, but "cannot be observed" is often interpreted as "it is impossible to observe it, now or ever".

It's a bit like an ancient Greek claiming that we will never know what a lightning is made from.
Yes, maybe better to say at the time could not be observed. But I think theorist were hoping for discovery of new exotic particles that escaped detection. Instead they found boring baryons that formed a wispy structure that was too cold to be "seen" by X-ray telescopes.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm so bored at baryons, being bossed by bosons and havin' to leap over leptons. Luckily not neutered by neutrinos, though!

I think we need a new kind of alien laser to see dark matter.

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson