Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
My installation of Diablo on N810 has not been able to retrieve orbital data or almanac for the satellites since 17 Nov 2010. supld still connects to supl.nokia.com and exchanges some packets. Network dump shows some sort of certificate exchange (supl.nokia.com, signed for Nokia by VeriSign), but that's as far as I understand the dump. According to agps-ui no new data is received, and getting a GPS fix takes next to forever.

As a dirty workaround, I tried setting one of supl.google.com A-records in /etc/hosts as supl.nokia.com. After this a network dump shows a certificate exchange and some additional traffic similar to what I saw before, with identical results: no data.

Now, I know AGPS support was released as beta, and by default, as an added bonus. Is AGPS working for other Diablo users? If yes, does it Just Work(tm), or what kind of changes are required? In not, do you have any ideas how to work around this?

The Following User Says Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Never worked here.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
It works for me

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
I have never seen agps do anything. Then again, setting your position is difficult enough considering the lack of any map features or tools. minigpsd would be great if it worked with navit, but it doesn't.
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

AGPS still works for me, it's the GPS part that's always been broken. If you can't get a fix:
  • switch the GPS off
  • delete /var/lib/gps/nvd_data
  • switch the GPS back on again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
AGPS still works for me, it's the GPS part that's always been broken. If you can't get a fix:
  • switch the GPS off
  • delete /var/lib/gps/nvd_data
  • switch the GPS back on again
Thanks for the tip but no, that's not it. I still get a fix -- it just takes much longer than with assistance data. IIRC deleting nvd_data was a trick that was supposed to help when you wouldn't get a fix at all.

When I first realised there was a problem with SUPL data I switched the GPS off, moved old /var/lib/supl/ad_cache out of the way and tried again. supld would then connect to supl.nokia.com but it wouldn't recreate or touch the file. When I restored the old file, supld would not touch it. Because I have two N810s, I also tried installing agps on semi-fresh device. It was the first time the device had agps stuff installed on it after reflashing it almost a year ago. The device didn't manage to retrieve assistance data either.

Interestingly enough now that I'm writing this, I realise that supld did in fact update the file yesterday. I've been trying to have supld to retrieve fresh data every now and then, even without a need to get a GPS lock. I didn't notice any satellite orbital data to appear, but that's what seems to have happened. It is not just the timestamp of the file either; touching the file manually won't update the timestamp agps-ui displays.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
It works for me
Just to make sure: if you open agps-ui, go to menu -> Info and click "Update cache now", supld downloads fresh assistance data and the UI is updated accordingly?

Originally Posted by wnd View Post
Just to make sure: if you open agps-ui, go to menu -> Info and click "Update cache now", supld downloads fresh assistance data and the UI is updated accordingly?
Yes, tested just now.

AGPS is working fine here but doesn't work if I change supl.nokia.com to google's IP in the hosts file. Does nokia resolve to 66.35.236.25 for you?

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
AGPS is working fine here but doesn't work if I change supl.nokia.com to google's IP in the hosts file. Does nokia resolve to 66.35.236.25 for you?
In short: thanks! 66.35.236.25 works like a charm for me.

Now, the long story. supl.nokia.com ultimately resolves as 83.150.75.211 (fi.nokia.supl.geodns.fi.) with my home ADSL and mobile internet (which are different companies). Unsurprisingly supl.nokia.com does load balancing using geo-ip. In my case it points to a server that isn't willing to cooperate with supld.

Code:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;supl.nokia.com.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
supl.nokia.com.		7731	IN	CNAME	nokia.supl.svc.ovi.com.
nokia.supl.svc.ovi.com.	22018	IN	CNAME	nokia.supl.geo.geodns.fi.
nokia.supl.geo.geodns.fi. 8336	IN	CNAME	fi.nokia.supl.geodns.fi.
fi.nokia.supl.geodns.fi. 300	IN	A	83.150.75.211

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
geodns.fi.		11931	IN	NS	ns1.geodns.fi.
geodns.fi.		11931	IN	NS	ns2.geodns.fi.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.geodns.fi.		72706	IN	A	83.145.248.145
ns2.geodns.fi.		418	IN	A	213.157.72.72
In a way I find it interesting that geodns.fi is owned by my ADSL ISP.

I also tried resolving supl.nokia.com using online tool. One of the services resolved supl.nokia.com to nokia.glpals.com (64.14.59.165). This is interesting because I remember seeing "glpals" in my own name server's logs in the past.

Now I only need to figure out why 83.150.75.211 isn't working.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post: