Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Some news about MeeGo Nokia N900 Developer Edition. We'd gladly like to see developers and anyone interested to contribute to the work. It's a phone OS you can modify to your heart's extent.

DISCLAIMER:

Target is to make a Developer Edition of MeeGo for the Nokia N900 device. Flashed with this edition N900 will be usable as a primary phone device for a developer/hacker person. This is not for regular Maemo 5 end users.

The focus is on meeting the non-functional targets (such as performance) rather than number of features. This will hopefully encourage more people to use MeeGo on N900, and continue enhancing the functionality or build new stuff. Developer Edition is based on MeeGo 1.2 trunk content

FIRST BOOT WILL ALWAYS BE SLOW AND SETTLE AFTER A WHILE. THIS WILL MAKE SUBSEQUENT BOOT-UPS FASTER.

Hi there,

Last week we completed what we call the DE Alpha release, and I am happy to say it came out pretty nice. Thanks for all involved!

You can find the download in our wiki (http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/DeveloperEdition). We now have our release machinery running, so we are generating DE sanity and acceptance images on a daily basis. The process is documented on the wiki (http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/ReleaseProcess). To see the status of DE in real time, go to http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Status.

At this point I encourage everybody interested (with a N900 at hand) to try DE out, you might be surprised. During the last month since we started DE, we have seen huge improvement already and this is just the beginning. In MeeGo Conference 2011 we will show our next release. The content for that release is being planned - yes you guessed right - in the wiki, and you are free to contribute to that. We will take everything: new bugs, fixes, artwork, new applications and I could go on. If you are interested in this effort, consider also contributing - that is the only way we make this great together!

If you have questions, ideas or anything else you can find friendly people in IRC almost any time just go to #meego-arm. I am not there 24/7, but there are people who are Discussion in this email list is encouraged too of course.

Br,
Jukka
(IRC: jukkaeklund)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jukkaeklund
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-04-20 at 13:55.

The Following 119 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
acrux, ajax1, Alfred, AlMehdi, alynsparkes, amandalam, anapospastos, AndrewX192, anonymous, antezz, arora.rohan, attila77, Bahador, bipinbn, brad112358, Captwheeto, cfh11, cheve, Chrome, cjp, Creamy Goodness, cristids, CutterSlade, daperl, datjomp, Dr.Heyde, drucula, dumpystig, eefo, EIPI, eMiL, fiferboy, Flux Pavilion, fw190, gazza_d, ghzroy, gionni88, giorgosmit, gordonshowers, hawaii, hgroove, HtheB, humble, Hurrian, ikirk, ivgalvez, ivyking, jaeezzy, jnack95, Joseph9560, jperez2009, Ken-Young, kent_autistic, kingoddball, kmare, kojacker, kopele, lithamhoa, lolloo, luiscesjr, MaddogG, Magik, Maj3stic, manavs, manojkumaru, Marklar, MartinK, marxian, mathiasp, mbo, mece, Mike Fila, mikecomputing, mikemx, mishmich, mmlado, MohammadAG, mohannad, mr id, mrsellout, mvuori, MyNokiaN900, Naughty, neboja, noobmonkey, object, omaniac, onethreealpha, OVK, oxpo, P@t, PartyboyXP, prankster, rabarkar, reinob, riceboy, saned, sbock, sjgadsby, skagek, SSLMM, stlpaul, strange1712, SubCore, Tarick, ThomasAH, titi974, Tomaszd, travla, tswindell, Vasikaran, vicscraft, victorevo, videohese, WilliePre, wimmme, Zentenario
Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
I love you, in a non-homosexual way. More in a "you and the team working on MeeGo and keeping the spirit of this great device alive are gods" type of I love you.

Jesse~

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jperez2009 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Definitely. Nokia left us pretty out when they abandoned Maemo with so much that needed tweaking. It's taking a while but that adds to the excitement right Looking forward to meego!

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
I love you, in a non-homosexual way. More in a "you and the team working on MeeGo and keeping the spirit of this great device alive are gods" type of I love you.

Jesse~
Sorry...thats kinda funny...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
Hi Stskeeps! First off: thank you very much for all the hard work done by the Meego team and yourself. Extremely nice to see the N900 is being used as a testing platform, and that we (being interested users) get the chance to ride along on this test drive!

I have a short question of which I could not find the answers in the Meego Wiki. I would like to install Meego onto my EMMC (so not my SDcard) parallel to my install of Maemo (power kernel) and Nitdroid using multiboot. I realize that this is a Maemo-specific topic, so my question is: will you provide an install option for this, or are you leaving this to the Maemo community?

Thanks and good luck finishing Meego!

Cheers!

The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
23 thanks and four comments
amazing
anyways .

a BIG thanks

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
is map with Navigation and voice dialling being considered at all for MeeGo?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
is map with Navigation and voice dialling being considered at all for MeeGo?
Will you make it?

Seriously though, I think we might have 'marble' ready for install (http://userbase.kde.org/Marble/Maemo/Installation ) on MeeGo DE repositories. Didn't test it myself.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Guess would be nice to have two N900 and one for spare one for use.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Will you make it?

Seriously though, I think we might have 'marble' ready for install (http://userbase.kde.org/Marble/Maemo/Installation ) on MeeGo DE repositories. Didn't test it myself.
Would love to, any idea where to start ( and I am serious), I was thinking about using espeak over the Nokia maps direction but I have two issues :

1. espeak itself isn't working, cannot figure out why? might have to reflash my n900
2. Do not know if the directions could be stored and then parsed to espeak.
3. which programming language should I use , should use QML? I have to learn it though first.