Active Topics

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
The thread will help coordinating the activities of the Testing Squad during February, feel free to ask questions about the Testing Squad or packages in testing during this month.

Originally posted at the Testing Squad mailing list.

Hi all,

Welcome to the Testing Squad!!

Let me start with some clarifications about the Testing Squad, this team is intended to test software done inside the community by volunteers, not software done by Nokia or new FW images(this can happens, if Nokia continue picking beta testers inside the community), so if someone have questions about that please shout .

I've started a page for the Testing Squad[1], feel free to add more relevant information, I also started a quick check list to help developers preparing their applications for testing[2], please help improving these pages.

My initial plan is very simple, we'll start this way, and keep improving our way of working with your suggestions:

* Each week a member of the Testing Squad posts a list of applications that should be tested during that week.(here and in a appropriated thread at talk.maemo.org)
* The testers test the applications freely in their free time.
* In the end of the week a evaluation is made and any pending issue is discussed among the team.

My initial plan is to test 15 apps per week(3-A-Day) in the beginning in order to clean the testing queue, I expect that this number will decrease a bit in the next weeks.

Please read carefully the Testing Squad page[1] before start, if you've questions feel free to ask them here or in the relevant thread at talk.maemo.org.

In the next hours I'll post the list of apps for this weekend(only 5), will do the same next Sunday, then this task will rotate among the members of the Testing Squad, it's a very simple task.

[1] - http://wiki.maemo.org/Testing_Squad
[2] - http://wiki.maemo.org/Prepare_your_a...on_for_testing

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Hi,

here's the list of applications under testing this week:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...er/1.0-maemo7/ - Promoted
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...bledict/0.1-2/ - Demoted
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...omeip/1.0.0-4/ - Demoted
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...systray/0.0.1/ - Demoted
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...erule/1.0.4-1/ - Promoted

I intentionally left out some applications because these are Command Line Applications(new rules will be announced) or I contacted the developers and they don't want to promote the current version in testing.
Please evaluate&vote all of them, even if the application already has enough votes(10), voting down will help to clean the testing queue, the applications with a karma < -5 will be automatically demoted, so some of the applications above can disappear from the testing queue before you evaluate them (not a problem).
Please always consider the comments made by other users and try to reproduce any issue reported, also if you find bug, report them in the proper place.
Always leave a comment when you vote down an application.

Happy testing !!

Last edited by VDVsx; 2010-02-13 at 23:41. Reason: updating package states

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Can I have two different versions of the same app in Extras-testing at the same time? If possible, is it recommended?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a version in Extras-testing, which is only a minor update compared to the version in Extras. It already has enough votes. I just need to wait for the quarantine time to end before I can promote it.

But now I made a new version which has pretty major changes in Extras-devel. While I tested as well as I can by myself, I need feedback. However, I can't seem to get enough of tester in Extras-devel, so I though of promoting it to Extras-testing for having more people testing it. Is this recommended?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Can I have two different versions of the same app in Extras-testing at the same time? If possible, is it recommended?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a version in Extras-testing, which is only a minor update compared to the version in Extras. It already has enough votes. I just need to wait for the quarantine time to end before I can promote it.

But now I made a new version which has pretty major changes in Extras-devel. While I tested as well as I can by myself, I need feedback. However, I can't seem to get enough of tester in Extras-devel, so I though of promoting it to Extras-testing for having more people testing it. Is this recommended?
From my experience promoting one version to extras-testing appears to 'unpromote' the verison that was there, or something like that. So I don't think you can co-exist two versions.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
I intentionally left out some applications because these are Command Line Applications(new rules will be announced)
so command line programs aren't tested in these testing squad?

Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
so command line programs aren't tested in these testing squad?
Will be when all the rules for these apps are decided and in place(should be soon).

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
From my experience promoting one version to extras-testing appears to 'unpromote' the verison that was there, or something like that. So I don't think you can co-exist two versions.
Exactly, you can't have apps with the same name in testing, unless there's some bug in the system.
If the version currently in -testing is just a small fix why not promote the version in -devel now ?

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Will be when all the rules for these apps are decided and in place(should be soon).
Would that include GUI apps that depend on other command line apps?

Take Bratag's and my Pianobar front-ends... pianobar is a command line app that would be exempted from your testing.. but the GUI's wouldn't be.. but if I understand the current system properly: if either of our GUI apps gets tested and voted up.. then when we promote it drags the dependencies too (since it's assumed that if an app that depends on another app worked fine.. then the other must have as well)..

So would you guys not be currently testing things like those?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Would that include GUI apps that depend on other command line apps?

Take Bratag's and my Pianobar front-ends... pianobar is a command line app that would be exempted from your testing.. but the GUI's wouldn't be.. but if I understand the current system properly: if either of our GUI apps gets tested and voted up.. then when we promote it drags the dependencies too (since it's assumed that if an app that depends on another app worked fine.. then the other must have as well)..
Exactly, this only affects standalone CLI apps, if the CLI app is a dependency from a GUI app, it will be treated like a library.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Exactly, you can't have apps with the same name in testing, unless there's some bug in the system.
If the version currently in -testing is just a small fix why not promote the version in -devel now ?
The current version in Extras-testing has some changes that are very minor code-wise, but adds some nice functionality. So I better wait till I can promote it, which is only 3 days more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post: