Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Interesting, I've never gotten voice recognition to work on cell phones (and even Dragon Naturally Speaking and the one included with Windows Vista and Windows 7). I chalk it up to a combination of I speak fast, I sometimes pronouce words wrong, and I occasionally have a Chinese accent (all a result of me growing up in the formulative stages of language learning speaking Chinese and little English).

And seeing my Google Voicemail transcripts didn't have me exactly expecting that Google would do any better (though they do have a larger library of samples for the system to learn from). That's partially what GOOG411 and Google Voice are for (yes scary isn't it? )...
For what its worth, if the N1's speech recognition is anything like the DROID's it should be considered "extremely good". Using the Talk To Me app (speak one language into the DROID, it audibly reproduces in another), I was able to hold a conversation with my g/f's family (Spain) over the phone using speaker from the DROID, into the speaker of the house phone.

For the OP, as far as the bulkiness of the 900, having taken mine apart due to the USB port coming out, there is no real reason for it being so thick. That said, I wouldn't mind it being "thicker" if it meant a smooth back and space for a higher capacity battery. If this was a tablet, I would have hoped Nokia engineering and management, would have designed it for prolonged use away from power source.

As far as a "metal body", with the Droid, I did several signal tests, and even made a make shift antenna to improve reception. I noticed with its metal battery door off, I experienced a significant gain in signal strength. While I like metal bodied electronics, I can see where it could be beneficial to go full plastic. I will concede however if this is just the nature of CDMA technology, not affecting T-Mo/AT&T 3G bands.

Lastly, chalk me up for not being in love w/Google...they want way, way, too much user info up in "the cloud".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Lastly, chalk me up for not being in love w/Google...they want way, way, too much user info up in "the cloud".

I second that.

Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I am a fan of Google, but who here isn't?
*raises hand.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to acou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
nor is a Snapdragon chip from 2007 without a GPU anywhere near OMAP3.
I would love to get more info on the N1's GPU. It has one, I'm sure. I read somewhere it has a AMD z-something one that is commonly referred through its codename, but I don't know if that was some hype-induced hallucination or the real deal.

Either way, I have to agree that the OMAP3 (and especially the sgx) seems to be more performing, at least in a per-ghz way, which will probably mean much in a battery-constrained device.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I would love to get more info on the N1's GPU. It has one, I'm sure. I read somewhere it has a AMD z-something one that is commonly referred through its codename, but I don't know if that was some hype-induced hallucination or the real deal.

Either way, I have to agree that the OMAP3 (and especially the sgx) seems to be more performing, at least in a per-ghz way, which will probably mean much in a battery-constrained device.
According to 3D Benchmarks the N1 is "only" 4% above the G1...

The Following User Says Thank You to c0rt3x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Good stuff, thanks.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Who says the N1 doesn't multitask? That's one of the selling points of Android over iPhone ...

FYI, my G1 multitasks just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Batmensch For This Useful Post:
Up to 6 apps..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Too bad there is no "Thanks!" button...
Fixed. Please feel free to go back and thank the original post (and any others you particularly liked).

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-01-09 at 00:28. Reason: Forgot to close my paren.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
fatalsaint: still, the OP seemed to say the N1 didn't multitask. Hard to say that up to 6 isn't "multi"

The Following User Says Thank You to Batmensch For This Useful Post:
True.. but honestly.. my G1 frustrates me to no end about that. Even the last 6 apps I open.. randomly you'll go to one and realize it's not running anymore..

Because you know.. android decided it was a busy.. and you didn't want that app anyway >.>.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: