Just found this:
http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=5364

Wayfinder is now avaliable.
Has a 7 day free trial ! (nice!)
premium navigation maps for europe cost 99eur.
US cost $130.

Just wish I could buy just my region maps, for a bit less... (30..60eur)

so.... this means n810 launch is eminent...

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
Great - now if only a company made routable maps for New Zealand.

Aside from Navman and Garmin (and a couple of other hardware GPS devices) I don't get why none of the soft-GPS manufacturers have NZ maps.

Right now I rely on Google maps and their routing (which is pretty darn good) plugged into MaemoMapper. If they can do it..... ah why bother I guess our market just isn't big enough to warrant the effort.

Go MaemoMapper go.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
So it is confirmed then routing is free.... only the voice commands are the premium and on the go route calculation.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i dont see it as saying that the routing is free. the way it reads to me is that all you get is the maps for free but routing and voice directions are a paid service

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Yeah, from my reading of it routing (i.e. tell me how to get from here to there) is something that Wayfinder Navigator provides, which they quite clearly distinguish from the built-in maps application.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
Yeah, from my reading of it routing (i.e. tell me how to get from here to there) is something that Wayfinder Navigator provides, which they quite clearly distinguish from the built-in maps application.
This begs the question -- what's the EULA on the Wayfinder maps? Can Maemo Mapper, say, use it and add voice and routing on top of it?

I don't get it, it looks exactly like the navicore maps I got and paid for. And if it only provide "current location" free, what good is it.
"less is like more but better"

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
Again though I fail to understand why routing is a premium service given that google maps does it really really well. Not sure if it will but I wouldn't be at all suprised if Maemo Mapper gets route generation using the gMaps API at some point (and it already allows for voice prompting).

So then the only real difference will be the proprietory systems ability to display things in a more isometric view.

No I was taught to read maps properly so really am not fussed about that functionality.

So it for me it all comes down to what on Earth is the business model behind the Wayfinder 'service' as it cannot be built for longevity.

I wonder if I can now navigate from the UK through to Germany without having to "swap" maps - that had BETTER be fixed now!

Still don't see a download available for older Navicore owners like me...I only bought it 2 months ago

Originally Posted by NokNok770 View Post
I don't get it, it looks exactly like the navicore maps I got and paid for. And if it only provide "current location" free, what good is it.
Of course it looks the same, wayfinder bought navicore! It is just and update to the Ver. 2007. And you can use your old license-key to unlock the 'premium'-feature for no further fee.