Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
The "sandbox" means:
  1. The modem does not access system memory
  2. Power input of the modem is controlled by the application processor
  3. Audio input of the modem is controlled by the application processor

The above points are effective solved by having a separate module or chip for the modem and only communicating with it via a simple serial port. Plus, adding a switch to its power supply and audio.

However, some people are even more paranoid and add an RF switch between the modem and the antenna, "just to be sure".

Not sure how far the Neo900 and the Purism go with this, though. (Neo900 had a detailed doc somewhere but I can't find it now.)
A sandbox provides a highly controlled environment. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by serial port or how it would work but the Librem 5 product description mentions nothing this, nothing of a baseband sandbox, nor any sort of controlled environment. They simply state that the baseband will be separate from the SoC. This design is of course better than most modern smartphones which integrate the baseband in the SoC but it is by no means a sandbox. If you have 5 minutes spare, here is a video which provides a quick overview of what the Neo900 guys are doing.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
A sandbox provides a highly controlled environment. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by serial port or how it would work but the Librem 5 product description mentions nothing this, nothing of a baseband sandbox, nor any sort of controlled environment. They simply state that the baseband will be separate from the SoC. This design is of course better than most modern smartphones which integrate the baseband in the SoC but it is by no means a sandbox. If you have 5 minutes spare, here is a video which provides a quick overview of what the Neo900 guys are doing.
So now the world sandbox makes stuff more private cmon?

Seriously what makes this different from what librem guys will do? How can you be sure neo900 is better? Based on what info?

You could just make it easy by turn the damn modem totally off with a simple FET solution and then call it fetbox privacy phone as a marketing hype will that make it better than sandbox or worse?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2017-09-29 at 19:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
A sandbox provides a highly controlled environment.
I'd be interested to hear how you imagine the hardware implementation of your sandbox, if not the way I described it to you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
I'd be interested to hear how you imagine the hardware implementation of your sandbox, if not the way I described it to you.
On a seperate chip, connected by high-speed serial uart, instead of inside the SoC with shared memory driver.

The above points are effective solved by having a separate module or chip for the modem and only communicating with it via a simple serial port. Plus, adding a switch to its power supply and audio.
Yeah... what he said.

EDIT: this is also basically what the neo900 guys are talking about, but with a bit of monitoring so you can guess when something you don't want is happening.

Last edited by r0kk3rz; 2017-09-30 at 14:31.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Pretty much what r0kk3rz said. The key things here are the hardware monitors and how the device reacts to rogue activity. The Neo900 can watch the radio for any unexpected activity, it can watch the CPU-modem data link and knows if it becomes active when it shouldn't, and it can also watch the power consumption of the modem to detect if it's being used when it shouldn't be.

Additionally, the input audio of the Neo900 modem will be disconnected. This means the input audio has been separated so the modem has to ask the CPU when it wants to use the audio channel. It's able to detect if the modem goes rogue and act appropriately.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. Despite my criticisms, I think the Librem 5 would be a great product and I want to see it succeed. There's nothing else like it on the market today and if it was available now I'd buy it in an instant. I'd probably be prepared to pay even more than what they asking for. That doesn't mean I'm going to hold back from pointing out the lies and bullshˇt in their campaign. I'd love to support it but I can't. $600 is too much money for me to risk on a product that doesn't exist. It's a shame they don't offer a pre-order deposit of say $100 to allow more people to support them.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2017-09-30 at 17:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
$600 is too much money for me to risk on a product that doesn't exist.
Yet you do not feel the same restraint about Neo900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
https://www.slashgear.com/purism-lib...hone-22501210/

Almost 60% now.... go go go

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
I contributed. Because we deserve to have more choices.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Contributed!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
I will backed Librem Phone 5, this is one of most important project in the histories of GNU; Thx Purism | Jolla is still far from this philosophy. But i love SailfishOS even with stinky-blobs

Last edited by karlos devel; 2017-10-01 at 15:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post: