Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
I think the lumia 900 kicks N9 but when it comes to typing. So nice and easy to type on the Lumia with the larger spaced out keyboard and nice key boundaries.
No swype = no joy. Typing without Swype is torture.

i have both, and i always wish that

n9 have 808's camera,cpu,gpu,fm tx antenna, cellular antenna,wifi antenna and fp2's vkb atrow

as for you OP, 808 is the best choice for you to have

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The camera device wins.

Personally I have sold my N9 64GB quite early for two reasons:

-pentile screen (big let-down as this is something you can read about but you need to experience for yourself if the tech works for you or not)
-unergonomic design of body
-swipe on N9 is nice to attract new customers / press attention but basically Fremantle is more productive interface for me.
-camera nothing special vs N8 / PV 808
(-it looks like Lumia so I feel a little "Lumia" in public : ) )

My ideal candybar smartphone:

- camera part of 808
- all the other hardware features of 808 + dual charging
-OS of N9 + higher res screen (but no way that pentile tech, rather the 920 screen)

Compromised with best of both worlds:

808 with Symbian OS that just works + great pictures + calling + sharing 3G over Joikuspot with N900

N900 in the other pocket running Thumb 2 and Firefox for convenient surfing, Jabber, IRC, Skype...

But that is my opinion and I am not an apps person.

I think the web should remain device neutral.

Remember how long have we suffered 640 x 480 on our big screen desktops for that same reason?

Remember it is not your phone that needs to loose weight but yourself to have more pocket space to carry the maximum functionality on the road.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
n9 have 808's camera,cpu,gpu,fm tx antenna, cellular antenna,wifi antenna and fp2's vkb atrow
808 doesn't have a notably better Cellular or WiFi config*, & it's CPU certainly isn't better.
Everything else you list is correct... except VKB superiority is debatable...

*for both it can potentially better, but it depends entirely on ones env. circumstances, for one person it may be better & another it could be worse.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-10-23 at 16:50.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
i have both, and i always wish that n9 have 808's cpu
808 uses an A11 arm chip clocked at 1.3Ghz while the n9 uses an A8 ARM chip clocked at 1Ghz...

the n9 wins hands down

FYI, A15>A9>A8>A11

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ India
I own both, bought N9 16GB earlier then upgraded to 64GB version. I bought 808 about month ago.
Frankly speaking in terms of specs,raw hardware 808 has many aces.
Let me summarise :

808 Pureview
Pros
-- Brilliant Brilliant camera(Stills), You have to try it to believe it.
-- Very good full hd video recording with kickass audio capture.
-- Very good music playback via headsets and speaker. It has Dolby Mobile etc. which actually make huge difference.
-- FM transmitter
-- Very good codec support out of box, I have thrown all kind of files at it and it plays all without any issues.
-- Very much improved Symbian, Belle FP2 it is. Includes better keyboard,browser,usability tweaks(If you are coming from early Symbians)
- Relatively better support by Nokia, updates, fixes etc.
- Nice collection of widgets.
- Better as phone, louder call, ring volume.
-- Better battery life compared to N9
-- Better Nokia Suite Support
-- Very good Microsoft Apps suite, Nokia Maps is better
-- HDMI, USB OTG, better 3G , WiFi reception
-- In India , we get 1 year free Nokia music unlimited service

Cons
-- Its bulky, heavy and kind of hard to handle.(Specially people used to slim touch slabs or smaller phones). Lens cover makes it even more bulky.
-- Build is not as impressive as N8,E7,E6 or even C7. It doesn't feel that great. You have to handle it carefully, Chrome camera casing is very easily damaged. Few users(including me have slight movement in back cover.)
-- Screen is bad to look at with all pixelation. Otherwise okish once you get used to it. No hot swap SIM card, memory card
-- Email is not so good, no notifications.
-- Only one exchange account
-- App support is decreasing
-- Overpriced

N9

Pros
-- Swipe UI. once you get used to this everything else becomes tedious. Smooth navigation, easy.
-- Very nice screen(compared to 808)
-- Nice contacts menu, accounts support
-- Brilliant design, rubber cover fits perfectly. This fits in hand very well. 3.9" doesnt feel big at all. Eye catcher. Curved glass.
-- Very nice community, app support.Something new to do always.
-- Very good Email,IM notifications. Hot swap SIM
-- Decent camera, takes some very good photos(No comparison to 808 though)

Cons
-- battery life is not great.
-- volume during calls, speaker, headsets is low.
-- Basic things like no predictive dialling missing
-- No HDMI, USB OTG
-- Fiddly USB door(Many people have broken it)
-- No builtin syncml support, office docs editing
-- No FM transmitter, Gets warm faster, especially screen
-- No microSD

My main phone is N9 currently and I just dont like to give up.
808 is gone to Nokia Care to fix back cover, I will try to use it more when it comes back.
Despite many cons of N9 , i like it more, It brings joy to using phone.

My advice
-- Go with 808 if you are in doubt, it will be more useful to you, kind of old swiss army knife. Best multimedia phone , I say.
N9 I can suggest if you want to experience Swipe and design and like to be part of community.
Luckily , I have both

Best Regards,
Suyog

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suyog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
The camera device wins.

Personally I have sold my N9 64GB quite early for two reasons:

-pentile screen (big let-down as this is something you can read about but you need to experience for yourself if the tech works for you or not)
-unergonomic design of body
-swipe on N9 is nice to attract new customers / press attention but basically Fremantle is more productive interface for me.
-camera nothing special vs N8 / PV 808
(-it looks like Lumia so I feel a little "Lumia" in public : ) )
^This, glad I'm not the only one that felt this way.

I've just exchanged my white N9 for an 808, only time will tell if I'll live to regret it, but I just had to try the last flagship Symbian and that amazing camera!

So far I'm pretty pleased with it, main things I miss from the N9 are Swype(both UI and keyboard, Swype isn't working right on 808 as you can't see what you're typing), and the general slickness of the OS.

The battery is better on the 808 though and that's a big thing for me, Symbian has always been the daddy when it comes to power consumption. For me personally I don't actually find the 808 too bulky, better than I was expected TBH and it's nice to hold while making calls etc. Also you don't have to be so precise to hear the other person on the phone, one of my dislikes with the N9, move just a little the device and you can't hear a thing!

As for the camera, what more can be said than amazing!

Both the N9 and the 808 are amazing phones, and will likely be my two last ever from Nokia(makes me a little sad), probably next device will be BB10, depends how happy I am in the long run with the 808 i guess.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
808 uses an A11 arm chip clocked at 1.3Ghz while the n9 uses an A8 ARM chip clocked at 1Ghz...

the n9 wins hands down

FYI, A15>A9>A8>A11
It's the GPU of the 808 that wins the N9's

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post

the n9 wins hands down

FYI, A15>A9>A8>A11
look at the overall SoC, than 808 wins without a second thought

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Where was he saying that the N9's overall SoC is much better, he was correcting a claim that the CPU's much stronger.
It's far weaker... Whereas it's GPU/DSP(s) are (of course) far stronger....

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: