Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
I'm in for both.
I would suggest to those making comments about lag and UI, to take the current batch of videos (coming out of the BB Jam US event) as beta samples.
The dev devices in no way represent the current OS as it stands right now, and even the "showcase" devices at BB Jam are running a heavily stripped down version of the BB 10.
BB10 appears to take heavily from the N9 swipe concept because they too have placed a heavy focus on multitasking and one handed operation.
I don't expect miracles from Jolla's first device, and my purchase will primarily be idealistic, in support of the idea and concept.

Unless taken by surprise with the Jolla release, I anticipate the BB 10 device to be my primary handset

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
I would suggest to those making comments about lag and UI, to take the current batch of videos (coming out of the BB Jam US event) as beta samples.

Yup i'm taking them with a pinch of salt but what I meant as stated earlier is that I'm afraid that it might just become another Potential Unrealized OS...

And like I mentioned, I too will buy both!

Also, I think most of us here hold high hopes for both these devices and hope they really do them well...Fingers crossed...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
I think the reason it looks so similar to the N9 is more to do with the Qt/Qml that they are using. I think Qt5 does work on it.

As for the gestures and swiping - that's clearly a N9 and WebOS rip-off.

Wouldn't it be so funny if BB manage to pull themselves out of this hole with a VERY similar OS to the N9 - and Nokia's WP8 just becomes the crappy 4th OS no-one cares about.

I for one think BB WILL, rumours seem to suggest it will come with a quad core CPU. The handset DOES look nice and BB are putting everything into BB10. Looking forward to it to be honest - gonna port my app to it.
rumours certainly suggest a snapdragon S4 SoC, which could be dual or quad, but what matters to me is that whichever it chooses it is an S4 Pro with an Adreno 320 GPU.

Doing so would mean that BBOS10 could spend its whole life with OpenGL ES 3.0 compliant hardware. Would make developer adoption of new technologies a lot quicker, and would give it a headstart on on rival platforms that will need to accommodate for generations of OpenGL ES 2.0 hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
@thedead1440 the uptake of development to the App World store will give us a taste.
Rim are going all out (dare I say Microsoft style) in their $ incentives for app development and I'm keen to see how well Eclipse works wrt repackaging existing Android apps for BB10.
Apps can be pushed to the App World store starting early October, so I would expect by mid to late November, we will start to get a picture of the effectiveness of their dev program, which, if you measure by the number of dev alpha (and now beta) devices they've been handing out, they're showing a good commitment.
we also need to appreciate that BB10 (as a handset) is only a small part of the pie.
T.H, is talking up the adoption of a holistic mobile environment approach to QNX and given RIM's existing secure communications streams, it opens up a pretty large scope for secure, encrypted telemetry in the mobile landscape that goes way beyond a smartphone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
onethreealpha,

Yup agreed! The app world submissions would prove the developer interest...Hopefully they do get substantial dev support

Nothing would beat the experience of running a N9-style OS in the form of BB10 or Jolla on upgraded hardware...

Btw, how are you going to manage getting the 2 devices? I thought you mentioned your wife would prefer to divorce you to allowing these 2 devices into your home?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Btw, how are you going to manage getting the 2 devices? I thought you mentioned your wife would prefer to divorce you to allowing these 2 devices into your home?
Outright lies come to mind.
Depending on form factor I can always go for the "this is my old one, I just bought a new case for it" line.... or better yet, "They upgrade my work phone"!
Maybe i should start a poll here for "Lies I can tell my wife"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ India, Canada
I love the N9 because of it's UI. just amazing. What I love even more about it is its capability to be modified.

I have seen the BB os10 pics and vid and i gotta say it looks VERY similar to the N9. But hey if Nokia aint making N9 successors then I will jump the ship to blackberries with that UI.

Jolla will probably be the only thing stopping me from doing that. I will wait til I see what Jolla has. Will it be better than the N9?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonikhanna For This Useful Post:
I will be pushing my app to be App World, after all porting should be easy considering it's Qt. And I think most developers are waiting for BB10, no point releasing for the current BB OS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I'm in love with BB10 UI It really feels like N9's younger brother!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I'm in love with BB10 UI It really feels like N9's younger brother!!!
Or sister

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post: