I bought an n900 the day it was released in the UK, and i had an N9 shipped from Finland the day that was released too.

I get why we all love those phones, the freedom is important and I do value it.

However, there are other factors that I valued in Nokia's Linux project:
1. As a KDE user I valued the Qt UI
2. True multitasking rocks

So, while I will be the first to cheer on the success of Jolla my question is this:

How many of you reckon that user experience trumps all else when it comes to a post meego/harmattan world?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/25/b...ails-revealed/

Especially given that BBOS10 is becoming the premier mobile platform for Qt.....................

I'm not writing Jolla off, but I KNOW the new blackberry phones are arriving in January and I know I love the user experience of my N9. Jolla just seems so much more intangible right now.

Your thoughts.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2012-09-26 at 10:26.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
Your thoughts.
Interesting comparison of BB10 & Nokia N9:
http://www.dailymobile.net/2012/09/2...an-bb10-phone/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I do like how the BB10 is shaping up it seems to have a bit of N9 soul

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Frankly, the video for BB10 is a bit of a downer...

I had high hopes for BB10 being a nice replacement for the N9 but now it looks like another Potential Unrealized OS...The rumour is that's a Dual-Core device and see the amount of lags and the slowness in opening apps...

The multi-task screen or active frames as they call it is nice but I'm worried about the way the basic UX is...Take a look at the Contacts app and the colours are too similar to Android 4.0 for my liking...When they press another tab within the same app it lags before moving on...

The N9 is remember running a very dated single core and it works better than what they have shown...

The hold and move swiping on the BB10, IMO, makes the swiping experience a chore instead of a fun to use thing...Its like swiping for the sake of it...

Jolla might be our best bet yet...

Anyway all things considered I might just end up with both of them

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
certainly the grey feed screen looks less polished than meego's slick black affair, but i hope they will sort out the performance issues with the UI.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
BB10 seems nice, but all those gestures are too complicated to compete with our swipes. I love swiping. Everytime I close an app I quietly whisper "Go to hell" with a smile on my face. And here on BB10 you have to swipe up and left? It's no fun. I really wish it succeeded, cause I don't wanna see Blackberry go bankrupt but I'm not going to buy this device. Love my N9 much more.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
BB10 seems nice, but all those gestures are too complicated to compete with our swipes. I love swiping. Everytime I close an app I quietly whisper "Go to hell" with a smile on my face. And here on BB10 you have to swipe up and left? It's no fun. I really wish it succeeded, cause I don't wanna see Blackberry go bankrupt but I'm not going to buy this device. Love my N9 much more.
what will you replace your N9 with when the time comes tho?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
certainly the grey feed screen looks less polished than meego's slick black affair, but i hope they will sort out the performance issues with the UI.
The grey will stay as its going to be a IPS LCD powering it from what I remember about the leaked specs...

Indeed, they need to sort out performance issues...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
hadn't considered that, true.

i wonder if it will arrive with Qt5?

I think the reason it looks so similar to the N9 is more to do with the Qt/Qml that they are using. I think Qt5 does work on it.

As for the gestures and swiping - that's clearly a N9 and WebOS rip-off.

Wouldn't it be so funny if BB manage to pull themselves out of this hole with a VERY similar OS to the N9 - and Nokia's WP8 just becomes the crappy 4th OS no-one cares about.

I for one think BB WILL, rumours seem to suggest it will come with a quad core CPU. The handset DOES look nice and BB are putting everything into BB10. Looking forward to it to be honest - gonna port my app to it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post: