Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
N96 had dual ARM9s. Dual CPU ARMs are nothing new. The OMAP3430 in your N900 is already arguably dual core.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by silent tim View Post
Interesting reading, never imagined phones would move to dual cores
you're not going to believe what people thought impossible 10 years ago...^^

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
Also, hummingbird > snapdragon? 1ghz is 1ghz is 1ghz?
No, don't fall for Qualcomm's abuse of the megahertz myth. They're pulling a Pentium 4 with their A8 stuff.

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
So Nokia is gonna source cpu's from Samsung?
TI, most likely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silent tim View Post
Interesting reading, never imagined phones would move to dual cores

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...details-leak/1
Actually the score is rather weak. Galaxy S that i own too gives those results before even the major extra umph gotten from Android 2.2.
If it's real i bet it's some Qualcomm dual core sh1te.

Nokia have had good relationship with TI so i'm hoping we see some OMAP4 love from there because that's surely the next gen imo and it should be hear on our hands from these big manufacturers in very near future. When it comes to Nokia i doubt we will yet see it inside the first MeeGo phone thought.

Hard to see the many advantages of having 2 processors in a phone at this time, 1ghz proves to be enough. Maybe if it also supported real graphics cards and a keypad I might actually care :/

Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Hard to see the many advantages of having 2 processors in a phone at this time, 1ghz proves to be enough. Maybe if it also supported real graphics cards and a keypad I might actually care :/
The benefit of a dual core system is not just so you can run more stuff. It can be used to reduce the inefficiency of using one CPU at a higher clock speed. It's kinda like Apple's A4 chips. They can go alot faster than what Apple uses them for, but Apple would prefer to use the more efficient chips at a lower clock speed for better battery life and less heat output.

I am going be surprised if the HTC Glacier doesn't have better battery life and less heat output than other Android 1 Ghz single core devices.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

One big thing for the performance and battery life is that example snapdragon 1ghz and OMAP3430 are 65nm based while hummingbird, A4 and OMAP36xx are 45Nm.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
N96 had dual ARM9s. Dual CPU ARMs are nothing new. The OMAP3430 in your N900 is already arguably dual core.
N96 maybe had two ARM9 cpus. But one was application CPU (Symbian + apps) where second was baseband cpu (so GSM modem). That was popular way.

N900 has single core ARM cpu. OMAP3430 has few units in one silicon but only one ARM core - rest are DSP, GPU etc.

# of cores in an SoC is always an interesting discussion for marketing. Lots of SoCs have additional cores embedded for support functions which are not customer facing. Do you only count the apps cores the customer can see or do you include the 4+ other cores, some of which may also be ARM based?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Hrw View Post
N900 has single core ARM cpu. OMAP3430 has few units in one silicon but only one ARM core - rest are DSP, GPU etc.
Technically, it has two ARM cores - the GSM section has a separate ARM(9?) core, but it is dedicated so not really pertinent to this story.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: