Automatic rebooting..
Anyone having issues with the N800 rebooting it self at least daily?
This started happening after I installed the CVPN client and the FMTuner app.
I have since removed both and continue to have automatic reboots at least once a day.

Any one know where I can check a system log? or enable one?

Also since I imported address's from a CSV of my Outlook address book, I have frequent problems with the mail client not opening. It seems to start to load and then never appears. I have to reboot the N800 to get the mail client to open. Any logging there?

I'll soon back up and reflash to see if the problems go away. I would rather trouble shoot the issue though if anyone can tell me where to enable logging.

There are some other threads which you should look up, they describe the possibility of more or less 'invisible' alarms, causing this.

What's a bit funny is how we seem to go through phases of different problems.. I had never heard about any automatic boot problem before, and when I get in after the weekend there's suddenly a bunch of threads about it.. almost like problems are scheduled to appear at certain places in the calendar, to keep us occupied

EDIT: The reason it looks as a new problem to me is because several threads mention this to be caused by alarms. Some reboots we've discussed in the past appeared to instead be an out-of-memory problem, somehow related to the dsp.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-02-12 at 18:28.

I have experienced this on the N800 numerous times, and I don't have anything ultra-special installed (just xterm, mediastreamer, and, of course, maemo-mapper).

It has never happened when I am in the middle of doing something, which is good. It only does it when it's idle. It's usually in Soft Poweroff mode at the time.

It's annoying...

Me, too pretty much how gnuite explains it. I had it wake me up this weekend because I had it beside the bed and it decided to reboot itself.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=976

(reading the 976 bugzilla)
The last comment (as of now) is interesting, because it explains what happens: It's the SW watchdog (which is a Linux feature, you can enable this on your desktop too) that deliberately reboots the device in a controlled way because it repeatedly fails to communicate with a device or driver (in this case the dsp). So at least it's not an out-of-memory or kernel panic issue, but a hang situation of the dsp system. Also, Jakub said in an earlier comment that it's supposed to be fixed in the upcoming version, which _may_ be ready in March.

So there, now you can sit back and relax, no need to read through the comments yourself..

Hmm. And I guess they're going to fix that selfsame auto-rebooting symptom on the 770 at the same time too, right ?

Or is it somehow much less of a problem ? :-)

Seems to be fixed in my case by changing the connection settings to Automatic or None.
Something about the search interval?
Though Automatic seems to make the battery drain faster then it ever did before so my guess there is it's always searching for new access points in this mode.

Is there any way to set this to produce a stop error instead of a reboot? I like to know when there is a problem and with a stop error maybe it could display more information for troubleshooting purposes.

The only problem with this is if it kept the display on... Come to think of it, wouldn't all the power management be effectively disabled in this case? A dead battery would defently be more annoying than a silent reboot.