Active Topics

I'll be meeting with Nokia tomorrow morning, January 8, and with the remaining time, I would like to compile a list of questions you want answered on the new OS. Post them here.

Thanks.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
[1] Will there be a 770 version of Maemo 3.0 in the foreseeable future?
[2] If not, will we see any updates to the 770 now that Maemo 3.0 will likely branch from any future development of Maemo 2.x?
[3] If there a branch of 3.0 becomes available for the 770, will it have any significant incompatibilities with 2.x?
[4] Is there any plans to possibly branch versions of future OS upgrades (i.e. 4.0, 5.0, etc.) so that previous versions (from 2.x or 3.0 on) will not break compatibility with applications?
[5] And finally, Is there any way an upcoming developer can secure a definite place on the Device Developer Program list?

Thanks Reggie, these are just the basic questions I'm sure a few of us devs are racking our brains over at the moment.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
why did they get rid of the slip cover?
what accessories will be available?
will there be a pan bluetooth profile available with the abundance of windows mobile phones that don't support DUN?

Not precisely 800 centric:

What are Nokia's plans, if any, to add Java support?
What software updates, such as the flash player, will make it to the 770 from the 800?
What improvements are planned to the e-mail application?
What does Nokia want to see from N800 community developers? (I assume that they'd like some ROI on their partial device subsidy!)

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
When do they plan to release the N900?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
To Nokia:

How do you expect the Hardware quality to be in the Nokia 800 VS the Nokia 770?
We all know that the Hardware quality of most N770 was very bad due to failure specially with the so call "wsod" Shall we expect the wsod in the N800 as much as we did with the N770?

What about technical support. Are we going to get more broad technical support? Meaning we do not want to pray before we call tech support to get some body that knows about the N770 or now the N800. Is Nokia going to train better there tech support staff on there line of products since now the 800 and the 770 are consider to be in the N line.

- SeRi@lDiE

Yeah, here's a good question:

Why should I waste my money on the 800 when they've done such a lousy job of supporting the 770?

It's been a year and the software is still full of bugs, it should have been a no brianer at this point to clean things up, but it's only gotten worse. I don't even USE mine anymore. This was something I really needed and I wish I had saved my money and bought the Microsoft one for 800 bucks, it even has a keyboard! And runs a text editior I can use with OTHER programs!!

Tell nokia to stay out of the tablet business, they're clueless and made me waste my money. I had hoped to get something half way decent and they didn't even deliver on that.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I am sitting here with my N 800 and think it is the coolest gadget I have ever used...I cannot see why people would complain. I know that this tool will satisfy my desires for mobility in computing.

Thor

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Reggie asked for OS related questions, and this is an OS section... =DC= got the idea.

I want to know about OS 2007 support for the 770. I payed a lot for my 770, and I think that it should be continued to be support.

And are they going to include true Bluetooth functionality in the OS, or do I have to use add-ons to get BT file transfers to work? Looks like it does have profiles for File transfer and such. Great. Cripple the 770 and bring out a better device. WTF? I feel like I got a N800 prototype.

What are the real feautres of OS 2007? I looked at maemo.org and it said some stuff about terminal features, SDK rootstraps and crap. As an end user, what kind of REAL feautres and advantages does this new OS have?

Last edited by shrimp_was_disabled2; 2007-01-08 at 07:08.