Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
"By your belief in granular singularities, you deny all movement - evolutionary or devolutionary. Belief fixes a granular universe and causes that universe to persist. Nothing can be allowed to change because that way your non-moving universe vanishes. But it moves of itself when you do not move. It evolves beyond you and is no longer accessible to you."
Indeed, Herbert is one of my favourites. He has honed to perfection the way to present philosophical ideas in entertaining fiction which is evident in pretty much all his writings, not only in Dune series.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Indeed, Herbert is one of my favourites. He has honed to perfection the way to present philosophical ideas in entertaining fiction which is evident in pretty much all his writings, not only in Dune series.
I find Dune is good up to the fourth (?) book; then it just goes bonkers. Period. But it's awesome up to that point. Especially the spice emperor (my memory is failing me here). Come to think about it, its the opposite of Star Wars. And seeing which destiny Disney has given to it, I definitely like the fact that there's something else out there (aka Dune et co).

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Four+ books? I'm totally behind, I've only read the one Good one it was too. The film they made out of it was a complete rubbish. Just like Space Odyssey.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Four+ books? I'm totally behind, I've only read the one Good one it was too. The film they made out of it was a complete rubbish. Just like Space Odyssey.
From Frank Herbert there is:

Dune (1965)
Dune Messiah (1969)
Children of Dune (1976)
God Emperor of Dune (1981)
Heretics of Dune (1984)
Chapterhouse: Dune

source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(franchise)

So start reading

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2018-04-20 at 18:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well the Dune film was directed by David Lynch so it is not your usual cup-of-tea... ever seen Eraserhead?

But honestly I did enjoy it, even though of course it did not live up to the book; when does a film ever do that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
So start reading
No, thanks. The first book was good, but it was written as a one-off, not the first in a series. I would only be disappointed.

The film was OK-ish, or would have been if I had seen it in 1985. Seeing it some 30 years later, I was somewhat less impressed. Too long, poor special effects, too arty-farty, too touchy-feely. I remember the book more to the point. Just like the other book/film pair I mentioned before

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
No, thanks. The first book was good, but it was written as a one-off, not the first in a series. I would only be disappointed.
I think I remember reading at least the second book (which is fairly short compared to all the others) was actually supposed to be part of the first, but would have made it too long.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)

The film was OK-ish, or would have been if I had seen it in 1985. Seeing it some 30 years later, I was somewhat less impressed. Too long, poor special effects, too arty-farty, too touchy-feely. I remember the book more to the point. Just like the other book/film pair I mentioned before
Also, Lynch was forced to quite cut it out, which actually made him quite mad and disliking the work https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(film)#Editing . The editing had, on the one hand, made the movie perhaps more accessible, but, on the other, it's a looong and hard book which is (I would guess?) hard to put on the screen, and this doesn't become any easier if you need to remove about an hour compared to your original plan.

Anyways, I guess we will see another try sometime soon https://omegaunderground.com/2018/03...ves-new-movie/ .

PS: oh, I didn't know that Villeneuve will do it in 2 parts, but it does make sense to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Oh dear. It seems I may have offended a sentiment or two. But then, I did not like Interstellar either, despite glowing reviews and endorsements

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Oh dear. It seems I may have offended a sentiment or two. But then, I did not like Interstellar either, despite glowing reviews and endorsements
interstellar is the classic "modern" scifi disappointment, in which they construct a fully plausible story and then save the day with a delusional deus ex machina in the end, cause theres no alternative. boring. pity as it was intriguing until (almost) the end.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post: